BJ's Restaurants

www.bjsrestaurants.com

Pretty good, cool magagement and good money

Former Employee - Server  in  East Mesa, AZ
Former Employee - Server in East Mesa, AZ

Pros

good money. Flexible hours for being a student. Menu is priced right so servers can still make pretty good money. Opportunity to move up in the company

Cons

corporate rules make serving the guests difficult at times. Always afraid you will be shopped or something. not very good benefits

lighten up

Other reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Your training can get you fired by mystery shopper

Former Employee - Server  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Management was laid back and fun. Team work was the best I've worked with in any restaurant.

Cons

I was trained to inform the guest of calorie changes when a substitution is made on the "enlightened" dishes. I did this and accidently insulted this guest who turned out to be a mystery shopper. In turn, she lied on her review (I believe to get back at me thinking I would just get written up or something) and I got fired. Granted, I did not ask, "Have you made your selections," but I did not do that because she already told me she wanted a few minutes to look at the menu. I was also trained to offer the hand crafted rootbeer if we weren't going to offer an alcoholic beverage (this was our judgment based on time of day, etc.) I did this and got points taken off. She said I didn't offer an appetizer or dessert and the plates were still on her table when she was ready to leave. She took two bites of her dish and asked for a box. The plates were taken off when she was done boxing up her food, but I still got points taken off. She kept me at her table for extended periods of time interfering with the quality of service for my other tables. They aren't supposed to interfere with the service. Because this mystery shopper was having a bad day and what I was trained to do was actually wrong, I am now a single mom without a job to support my daughter and have no idea what I am going to do to pay for daycare and rent in a couple of weeks.

Take a closer look at why a mystery shopper may have given a server a low score and don't fire them after one bad shop. In the previous weeks, I had 3 or 4 tables ask to speak to a manager to tell them how great my service was and they would be coming back to ask for me. I wish the managers could have taken this into account. If a table informs me that they would like a few minutes, I am not going to ask, "Have you made your selections" because it makes me seem like I'm ignoring them and trying to rush them. The quality of service should not be based on whether or not we ask, "Have you made your selections" but rather the experience the guest has while there and how they feel when they leave.

It is ok

Current Employee - Bartender/Cocktail Waitress  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Bartender/Cocktail Waitress in Seattle, WA

Pros

I have met some awesome people that I work with and it's also pretty easy to transfer locations.

Cons

They will work you long hours and not really take your requests into much consideration.

Let the hard workers have better schedules.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!