Overall, still a great company.

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Arlington, TX
Former Employee - Bartender in Arlington, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of money to be made. All the managers I came into contact with were very helpful and caring.

Cons

Constantly evolving company due to its rapid expansion may not excite those wanting an easy serving position. Unless you are in a developing market it can be hard to move into management.

Other Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

If you're working for this company, know that they will fire you in a heartbeat.

Former Employee - Bartender  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Century City, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling and great with transfers. I started as a server in a San Diego based restaurant. Then transferred to a Los Angeles based restaurant. Both environments were very accommodating with scheduling and seemed to offer room for advancement. Quickly got promoted to bartender once I proved myself in Los Angeles. Our initial GM was fired for numerous fraudulent activities and was replace by a guy who we all thought (and some still do) is a stand-up guy.

Cons

Every single manager is two faced. I have worked in many restaurants and this one wins by a land-slide. On numerous occasions I would have managers telling me that they "have my back" and when push comes to shove, don't at all. Servers are treated like crap on a daily basis. Asking a manager for something is basically asking for a write-up. Their mind is set 100% on their bonuses which are directly controlled by the shopper score we receive every month. Even though I was there for almost two years straight, one minor slip up (I was fired for not replacing a guests tab fast enough) and they turn on you.

Try having a little bit of loyalty to your employees. Actually care about how they perform on a day to day basis. Reward the people who work hard, instead of giving "Reliability" stars out to people who come in to work when they are sick.

Truly gold standard

Current Employee - Server  in  Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Dublin, OH

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

We have a brand and an image that drives consistent business and allows you to earn a viable income. Excellent operational standards mean that I work in a clean environment and I am proud to serve every item on the menu (and suggest a ten mile run afterwards Holy Calories!)

Cons

Serving is equally as miserable as it is fun. You have shitty customers sometimes and shitty immature managers sometimes but that's life.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!