Good Money, Super Corporate

Current Employee - Bartender, Server in Allen, TX
Current Employee - Bartender, Server in Allen, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Money, Good Management, Flexible Hours

Cons

Under the corporate hammer, secret shops.

Advice to Management

Do away with secret shops.

Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Horrible management/work environment is even worse

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The money was good for the servers...but not for the bar

Cons

Servers only tip out the bar .5% but management doesn't even make sure they tip out at all. The shifts are long for closing staff and it's a lot of work. Employee turnover is high because of the stress associated with confused and often times contradicting management. Heck, ever upper management turnover was high too, so it seems like nobody really likes it. Much of the staff is poorly trained and does not pull their weight, which put additional expectations on to remaining employees. In the time I worked there, I only ever saw one manager roll up his sleeves in the FOH and buss a table, so there's a definite superiority complex going on with management in that they're too important to help out. (Btw, that manager no longer works there). I remember going in to work nightly and just hating every minute of it. The staff is treated portly, yelled at, threatened, and made to feel worthless. Which is too bad because I remember when the store opened, the air was much different.

Advice to Management

Get on the same page and stop shuffling you managers around from store to store, it's detrimental to your staff to constantly have a different manager. So I guess stop treating your management staff poorly enough that they quit. Employee moral is extremely low.

2. Superior workplace

Former Employee - Waiter
    Former Employee - Waiter

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The staff is superior, a complete group of friends that always have each others backs. Employment is highly recommended, though upward momentum is slow due to high competition

Cons

The management sometimes lets their personal feeling interfere with promotions and teaching. Though generally they do well.