There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

disappointed

Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Newark, CA
Former Employee - Lead Line Cook in Newark, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

there's no shortage of hours for cheap employees

Cons

i thought this was an upgrade from my previous employer, but i was very disappointed. they tried to cheat me on my pay by promising one rate and delivering another, waited till id been there 2 weeks before i was put in the system/on the books. management is completely incompetent and overpaid, they all just hide in the office till the rush hits. i was expected to do everything by the book even though they werent, such as a promotion given to a dishwasher that has never worked boh but the kitchen manager had clearly began fraternizing so she got the job after 2 days. ive worked at some shady places but this is the absolute worst job ive ever had. management is a joke, horrible communication, spineless snakes.

quit.

reviews filtered by

Horrible management/work environment is even worse

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The money was good for the servers...but not for the bar

Cons

Servers only tip out the bar .5% but management doesn't even make sure they tip out at all. The shifts are long for closing staff and it's a lot of work. Employee turnover is high because of the stress associated with confused and often times contradicting management. Heck, ever upper management turnover was high too, so it seems like nobody really likes it. Much of the staff is poorly trained and does not pull their weight, which put additional expectations on to remaining employees. In the time I worked there, I only ever saw one manager roll up his sleeves in the FOH and buss a table, so there's a definite superiority complex going on with management in that they're too important to help out. (Btw, that manager no longer works there). I remember going in to work nightly and just hating every minute of it. The staff is treated portly, yelled at, threatened, and made to feel worthless. Which is too bad because I remember when the store opened, the air was much different.

Get on the same page and stop shuffling you managers around from store to store, it's detrimental to your staff to constantly have a different manager. So I guess stop treating your management staff poorly enough that they quit. Employee moral is extremely low.

2. Overall, still a great company.

Former Employee - Bartender in Arlington, TX
    Former Employee - Bartender in Arlington, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of money to be made. All the managers I came into contact with were very helpful and caring.

Cons

Constantly evolving company due to its rapid expansion may not excite those wanting an easy serving position. Unless you are in a developing market it can be hard to move into management.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants