BJ's Restaurants

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

It has it's moments.

Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great money for the hours as a server. I've been there 4 years. Cooks work extra hard because of the high volume but they can advance and get raises with every section of the line they learn. It's a very busy place. My store only promotes from within but it's easy to advance if you work hard. My GM is very "by the book" and runs a tight ship. The other managers are nice and helpful and really care about the Guest's experience as well as ours.

Cons

It's VERY high volume. Be prepared to sweat. It's hard, physical work and you are dealing with the public. You have to be nice so this isn't for everybody. The server's hourly wage in most states is LAME!

Thanks for doing away with the Secret Shoppers!!

237 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

Mixed Review

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, the income was substantial and, for the most part, the hours were flexible enough to attend school while employed. There were some managers who were excellent. Unfortunately, the best ones did not stay at the store due to conflict with managers who were sub-par.

Cons

As a former server in many restaurants, I considered this restaurant to be a particularly challenging environment. Perhaps it was just my store, but I found the management team to be lacking in several areas such as communication, organization, and consistency. The KM was a particularly difficult person with which to work. The amount of side-work was sometimes overwhelming during and after a difficult shift. In addition, it was next to impossible to move up in this company despite consistent positive feedback.

It would be wonderful if the opinions of all employees were taken into consideration especially when there has been a high turnover in management. In addition, the training program should be improved and regulated more strenuously. Also, some consideration should be given to decreasing the amount of side-work or, at the very least, evaluating the amount of side-work per server.

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They'll hire just about anyone. they seem to have a huge turn over rate with employees who have been with the company or store for less than 10 years. I cant speak for everyone else experience, but mine was nothing but negative. I rarely have a negative thing nor would i ever broadcast it publicly unless it was too important not to. So as long as your ok with having to be hazed for a $9 hour position then go for it.

Your job is simple, take an order deliver drink, deliver check then do it agian.

Cons

you will be expected to suggest to guest to use there phone next time to place there order and pay. this will make the guest feel unwelcome and most will be be offened about you telling them not bother you next time and just order from there darn phone themselves next time, so don't expect a tip.
    But suggesting mobile ordering and mobile pay is a requirement. So ultimately you will be advocating that a mobile phone take your guests orders and collects payment, which are 2 out of the 3 only tasks you are responsible for doing. So ultimately your just an advocate to promoting yourself out of a job. Why pay you to do a job that a mobile device can do for free.
    Droid and iPhones cant collect unemployment, or workman's comp. Why would they need you now, because they got a computer to do your work for you faster and for free.
    I'm just saying. the company prides themselves of making a connection with the guest, but this is the opposite of what there really trying to do in the long run.

Thinking that being called a B-word is not a compliment, so stop telling us how much of a compliment you think it is and how bad you like being known as one. I refuse to let you feel good about yourself everytime you are unnecessary unkind to us employees below your position. BTW you are so not welcom, so dont bother saying thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants