BJ's Restaurants

Just another restaurant job

Current Employee - Server in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Server in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

BJ's has pretty good food and excellent beer. It is open late, and my location was always busy. This translates into lots of opportunities to make $$$.

Cons

Job satisfaction is directly correlated with management. I worked with awesome managers and loved my job, and bad managers who made work hell. BJ's transfers managers all the time which makes employees have to adapt to new rules and preferences.

Keep managers in locations longer to build rapport with employees/guests.

237 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

One of the best places to serve

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Really great environment. Like all restaurants, it depends on the other employees that you work with. If you have good chemistry with other people and the manager, it will be a great place to work for.

Food is good, they hire the best of the best only. Employee discounts whenever dining in

Cons

Sometimes you do have to work long hours, despite one of the easiest place to work as a server, you will have some people get cut early and not do their closing duties.

Prepare and lead by example. My GM at the Pearland location could talk the talk, but when it came down to it couldn't really walk the walk. I saw him burn a lot of bridges with employees working there.

BJ's Restaurant

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

It is a company that does a lot of great things in the communities that it operates and you do feel really proud to work there. Senior management is excellent and there are a lot of resources and people to reach out to if you have questions or concerns with just about anything. The restaurant is high volume so you definitely stay very busy and the people you work with are great too. I have really only had one bad experience with collegues and or upper management and for the most part the senior leadership is very competent.

Cons

The befefits package is horrible and the bonuses when you first start at the manager level are weighted towards customer surveys. So even though you are directed to always drive sales the reality is you can be a financially succesfull restaurant but you may not see a great bonus. Also, the bonus structure has the management at the top in a constant struggle with the people at the bottom as far as staffing needs and other issues that effect financials because the top bonus more off of the bottom line. Expect to work about 60 hours a week and work from home as well to finish administrative tasks that you are not given time to finish while at work. There is also a disconnect between senior leadership and the operations level as far as company culture and living the culture. BJ's has a great mission statement and excellent senior leadership but more often then not you feel as though your voice is not heard. Creativity and innovation are not what seems to be valued. We often say that we want to be a top 100 places to work but i don't believe that the environment can produce that. 60 hour work weeks, working from home, very little vacation pay, only 4-5 sick day a year, etc., etc.

It can be a great place to work but you definitely need to have thick skin. For every time you are recognizd for doing something well you are told how horrible ten other things are. It is a good company that is trying to be great but I just don't think we know how to get there.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants