There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

I don't recommend it.

Current Employee - Server
Current Employee - Server

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

Hotschedules
Closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day
For me, getting requested days off has not been a problem, but this all depends on management.

Cons

BJ's is rapidly expanding and the ones who dictate how you do your job are corporate and mostly concerned about profits, they are not people who are actually working in the restaurant and interacting with guests and team members.
They "offer" health insurance, but make it nearly impossible to get. If you are lucky enough to qualify, you will likely be dropped very soon for failing to make the required hours.
Both locations I have worked for over hire. You can go from having a solid five shifts per week to three shifts with no warning. Therefore I don't recommend BJ's if you have bills to pay, it can cause a lot of stress.
In addition to regular serving shifts, all servers are scheduled regular food running shifts (for your min wage, plus maybe $20 in tips for the night) and standby shifts.
Standby Shifts are possibly the biggest con. You will be scheduled on "Standby" for either 12pm or 5:30pm. This means that management has until 12pm or 5:30pm to call you into work. You cannot make other plans for these times "in case" you get called into work. If you do not show and you are called in for a standby you will be written up for a no-show. In my opinion, dictating what an employee does away from work and off of the clock (making yourself available for a shift you may not receive) is wrong.
Luckily, when you put in your time and lots of hard work, these shifts are less frequent if you have good management.
Hosts are not tipped by servers, and to the restaurant's benefit. They are not trained to seat servers at a steady pace, but to fill the restaurant to 100% capacity 100% of the time. This means that if you have four tables all cleaned at once, and they have four parties of six waiting to be sat, they will all be sat in your section at once.
I have had this happen to me and then get yelled at by a manager because there is no ice in one of the beverage stations. So I asked for help with this swarm of people I was just sat. He said, "No, I do not have time to be helping servers."
Bussers are not allowed to pre-bus tables.
Bartenders don't make much from server tipouts, and are regularly receiving secret shoppers. If they receive less than 100% in their bar shop they are suspended, so naturally they are focused on the guests. Therefore, it will take forever to get your drinks from the bar (up into 10 minutes) and your tips will suffer. I tip the bar really well, so its nothing to do with that, its just the way it goes.
I have had some great managers at BJ's, but I have had some horrible ones. One was a GM (who was eventually transferred, thankfully) who would regularly yell and belittle servers, telling us to "Go work at Chili's" or Target. And it was not funny. He was a mean, horrible, condescending person and there are managers at BJ's who do not treat their employees like adults.
I also feel that management can go overboard with comping meals for guests who are unhappy ("We Never Lose A Guest") and there are types of guests who know this and use it to their full advantage.
The bottom line is, if you are looking for a serving job (especially if you have experience) there are much better options out there.

None. They just do what the big guys tell them to do.

195 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants (View Most Recent)

It's just a job, not a career

Former Employee - Dining Manager
    Former Employee - Dining Manager

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

The salary was above average for the industry. The company is always expanding, able to open new restaurants even during a recession.

Cons

Medical benefits could have been better. Expectations were not appropriate for the conditions of the local market., and did not allow the opportunity increase the market share.

Upper management needs to realize that each area needs goals that apply to the specific conditions of the region. Also, the treatment of Team Members need to show them more respect and consideration, not the almost aggressive indifference that is now exhibited.

No room for advancement if you are female

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

Pros

They do have a good benefits package (minus sick pay).

Cons

They have lost sight of what their original vision was. They no longer treat their managers well. They took away certain benefits such as sick pay and force their managers to use vacation when sick or even worse, come in to work while they are sick. If you are female, you will have a difficult time moving forward with the company. If you are male you will move forward quickly and join their club of men GM's quickly.

Do not question what the company is doing. They do not promote free thinking.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!