Decent Company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Natick, MA
Former Employee - Analyst in Natick, MA

I worked at BJ's Wholesale Club

Pros

Some great people at BJs. Once you find you niche, you can really do well there. They do take care of good employees. The comapny seemes to be here for a wile, and does well through all economic conditions. If you work hard, they will reocgnize you. If you are not a good fit, they are willing to transition you to another function or toatlly new department.

Cons

PLace is very cheap, and the salary is just OK. Bonus plan seemed very weak. They work the way their stores are, cuting corners and being very frugle. Management seems to be above the third tier employees.

I would try to do a better job of setting goals, and communicating them to the company. Not everyone was sure of their eole, and how it fit into the big pitcure.

Other Reviews for BJ's Wholesale Club

If you can avoid it, skip BJ's and retail in general.

Current Employee - Membership Manager  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Membership Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at BJ's Wholesale Club

Pros

There really aren't too many. You would think by my ratings I'm really down on the company. I'm really not. I tried to do this as objectively as possible. I would say the upside to working at BJ's would be....it provides a paycheck. I do have to say the dental benefits are above average. The company seems to be getting steered toward a better direction - but the benefits of this hasn't trickled down from the top yet.

Cons

It's retail, these downsides are not just limited to BJ's, but to any location in retail. Long hours, low pay, 6 day weeks during November and December, little to no praise for a job well done, dealing with NASTY members; and when they complain, our corporate office will NEVER back their employees, even if we followed the book with respect to the situation...which leads to the next downside....low morale. High pressure to obtain sales and even higher pressure to obtain new members. Not flexible with hours or vacation time.

LISTEN TO THE EMPLOYEES IN THE STORE! This company can run 100% better if they would just talk to the employees that work inside their stores. All decisions come from someone sitting in a cubicle in Massachusettes.

BACK YOUR EMPLOYEES! Even once out of every 10 times someone complains would help. One time, lightning hit the store which cause us to lose electricity for some time. Because a member did not like waiting 5 minutes until our generators kicked in and rebooted the registers, he cursed out all the managers working at the front line to help speed things along, literally pushed his cart into the wall, made a huge scene and called our corporate office to complain. The next time he came in, we were required to apologize, and give him a $50 gift card. Keep in mind this guy only spent about $500 the year prior. Why did we have to apologize for something not within our control, and then reward him for cursing us all out and throwing his cart into a wall? It's was humiliating and cause a HUGE morale deflation.

good place to work

I have been working at BJ's Wholesale Club

Pros

At my store all people are friendly and easy to work with

Cons

The pay could be better

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Wholesale Club.

Worked for BJ's Wholesale Club? Contribute to the Community!