There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Wholesale Club

Great place to work, at least at my location!!!

Current Employee - Membership Services Representative  in  Riverhead, NY
Current Employee - Membership Services Representative in Riverhead, NY

I have been working at BJ's Wholesale Club part-time for more than a year

Pros

Birthday pay, time-and-a-half, double-time, free membership for employee and 4 other people, flexible scheduling, accommodating, great coworkers (mostly), decent health benefits for full-time employees, holiday pay, management appreciative of employees, annual Christmas party (can't wait) with gifts for employees and our children, STAR Reward program where employees receive a certificate of excellence and $300 gift certificate reward, tuition assistance/reimbursement, 7-minute leeway for punch clock (scheduled to be in at 11, punch in at 11:07 and still be paid from 11:00), room for advancement either within the same club (if position is available) or transferable to another club, etc!

Cons

Some of the customers can be extremely rude, trial memberships are offered too often, bringing in more undesirable, dishonest members.
More accommodating to new members as opposed to members that have been shopping at BJ's for 15 years under the same membership number.

Trial offers should be cut back to once a year, and more money saving options should be available to renewing annual members, rewarding them for their loyalty. Keeping our current members happy would entice new members to stick with one membership longer. As for advice in improving club performance at team member/management level- I'm not sure I have any advice because I have nothing negative to say towards management! If you do the job your hired for (or payed to do) to the best of your ability-- they treat you the way you deserve to be treated! Simple as that! Some employees don't seem to understand that each shift, early/opening, mid and closing/late, consists of a TEAM of people, and if someone doesn't show up or contribute then it effects the TEAM as a whole!

263 Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Wholesale Club (View Most Recent)

very poor management and training

Current Employee - Asset Protection Days  in  Cumming, GA
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Days in Cumming, GA

I have been working at BJ's Wholesale Club full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

benefits days off and vacation

Cons

poor management training and non experienced mgt.

better training treat like a wholesale club not a retail place also managers should be held to a higher standard than hourly employees

Part-time is best

Former Employee - Food Demonstrator  in  Revere, MA
    Former Employee - Food Demonstrator in Revere, MA

I worked at BJ's Wholesale Club part-time for less than a year

Pros

Part time shifts are great. I really loved working there on the weekends, it was an active position and helping the members were great. There were days that I really considered applying full time because I experienced job satisfaction, I felt good about the work at the end of my shift. I still think about it, and wonder if there are other stores that are better than where I worked.

Cons

Supervisors and Managers are not properly trained to manage associates, some can be bullies. I witnessed a general manager berate entire team on the floor while members watched. This GM was promoted to a DM, and still finds time to come back and harass certain employees. The few good managers seem to be moved to the wayside or demoted. BJ's could be such a great place if it were not for the ego's of the supervisors and managers who are inept or to immature to manage associates.

Cutting down on the associates shifts to make it look like your operating costs are low, really hurt the members experience. Many associates are doing the work of two people. Train your supervisors and managers to empower staff not to defeat and berate them.

There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Wholesale Club

Worked for BJ's Wholesale Club? Contribute to the Community!