BKD
www.bkd.com Springfield, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Good experience, that's it

Staff Auditor (Former Employee)
Springfield, MO

I worked at BKD full-time for less than a year

ProsGood experience
Sink or swim mentality teaches you to think for yourself, as no one is going to help guide you beyond week one of training
Nice comraderie among peers

ConsCompany's approach to recruiting is hiring to fire. You have just a couple months to prove your worth and receive no training. If you ask too many questions, you are immediately viewed as weaker than your peers and run a huge risk of being let go. If you are a strong performer, you also run a risk of being let go, as rather than own up to its recruiting mistakes (i.e. hiring too many), when times get tough management's philosophy is to unload staff as quickly as possible. BKD is not a great place to work, so usually those that don't get fired quit pretty quickly anyway. If you have a family or want a life outside of work, forget it. Informing them that you prefer less travel known is like career suicide. BKD is also very inflexible with working hours. Other public accounting firms are flexible in that it is about getting your work done at any time of the day, but BKD is very rigid - wants you there from exactly 8:00 to exactly 5:00 with a one hour lunch from 12:00 to 1:00. They frown upon you leaving at 4:00 on a Friday, even if you have already put in 60 hours for the week. Much of the travel is for two week jobs, and they also frown upon you coming home on the weekend, which is also different from a lot of firms. Most managers and partners are rude and act like they are above talking to staff. Technology is horrible (i.e. computer crashings and Excel time sheets, paper billing, etc.).

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire to fire - recruit the correct people and the correct number of people. Take a look at your cheap and inflexible employment practices.

Senior Manager

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BKD full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Good experience and a good company culture Cons: Low salaries, incompetent partners, lack of an effective strategy to… Advice to Senior Management: Learn how to reward your top performers. Empower your… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

BKD Tax accountant

I have been working at BKD

Pros: The partners are easy to talk to and helpful. … Cons: The long hours are hard to deal with during busy… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on BKD.

Worked for BKD? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BKD reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BKD CEO Ted Dickman. All reviews posted anonymously by BKD employees.