There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software

Always looking over your shoulder after quarterly reports for the layoff guillotine

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in San Jose, CA

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many long term employees are knowledgeable, technically adept.
Mainframe infrastructure kept up well.
Good benefits, good salaries, decent bonus program.
Beauchamp has a good handle on the future of the industry and makes strategic acquisitions of normally best in breed companies.

Cons

I can't stress this more: lives and dies by the quarterly statement; layoffs are the quick fix, with no respect to importance. I left even with a guarantee of not being laid off before a certain time, because I knew that I would probably be gone after that.

If you're not in Houston, you are not part of the "in" group, and don't expect to be part of the inner circle.

People are retiring and not being replaced.

Beauchamp may be a good CEO for the shareholders, but he comes across as somewhat arrogant, even in his stock photo

Advice to Management

Dump Beauchamp out of the dual CEO/Chairman role. Dual roles eventually lead to disaster as you're putting the company eggs in a single basket.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. none

Current Employee - Senior Revenue Recognition Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Revenue Recognition Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

very very nice campus, flexible work schedule

Cons

not a very good work life balance

2. Among the best of the best

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the day I started, I was extremely impressed with the caliber of individual contributors as well as the leadership at BMC. I was also impressed with the rigor associated with the hiring process and I suppose this is a major contributing factor to my first comment.

Cons

As with any sales organization the pressure to perform can be intense - be ready to be your best and always be looking for ways to improve. This means starting with the first day of interviews and continuing throughout your career. BMC can be a tough company to get into but the rigor of the hiring process becomes immediately evident when you start working with this great team.

Advice to Management

Focus on product marketing and alignment. You've grown through acquisition and your strengths have come from your ability to swiftly assimilate the various products and corporate cultures of the on-boarding companies. As we continue to grow, it is critically important that we maintain this agility but also be consistent with product naming and enforce this through the ranks. Speaking as a former IT professional on the buy side, customers want uniformity and congruity across product offerings, especially considering our primary target customer base: large enterprise, multiple product value-based solutions.