There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software

Highly values sales reps but lots of change

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good sales training, successful reps can make a great deal, very little micro managing, a real effort to help you grow your career, a genuine concern for your well being and career success, some great market leading products, some really top talent

Cons

Frequent change, always buying new companies and adding new products to the mix, a big company that requires you to work with a large ecosystem to get anything done, not always the engineering support you need to sell some products

Advice to Management

Focus on a your core capabilities and stop trying to be everything to everyone.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The best place I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented workforce. Interesting and challenging work. Couldn't wait to get to work in the morning- the work was that much fun.

Cons

Constant layoffs have led to a lot of unproductive politics. I chose to leave for family reasons, even though I was offered the opportunity to telecommute. I knew that I would be endangering my family as the telecommuters are out of the loop so easy to axe when the quarterly statement dictates a cut. I still miss BMC but family first (aging parents)

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the people, products and long term plan -- ignore the quarterly variability. Take a page from Alan mulally's play book. Stop the constant offshoring to make short term numbers look good, and sacrificing the long term. Remember we were the best little software house in Texas because of the dedicated people working non-stop voluntarily.

A great company held back to by its past glory

Current Employee - Lead Product Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Product Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A great company culture that encourages participation and honest dialogue. The management usually does it right by their employees. I came across number of employees in almost every group - Sales, Engineering, Cust Service, Sales Consultant, PM - that have joined BMC back after short hiatus in other cos like HP, CA. Hard core sales oriented culture, placing customer above all. The whole organization is geared to do anything and everything for the CUSTOMER. No one has ever said no or delayed a project when a customer is involved. This culture starts from the top at Bob's level and permeates down below. Good bench of second tier management that has talent but have to just follow the diktats from the top.

Cons

Very sales oriented culture is also their biggest drawback, where management is so focused on making their quarterly sales that they are missing out on some of the biggest innovations in the industry. No thrust on innovation to differentiate their product. Using old school sales model of selling enterprise IT is not working anymore when you are up against new shiny toys that speak for itself. No sound strategy to compete against SaaS model but more of FUD and denial. With average employee being around at BMC for 12+ years, there is a sense of entitlement among them . Product releases take over a year with no major changes. Everyone (mgrs and employess) is pretty laid back doing business as usual, maintaining status-quo. While new nimble and smarter companies are innovating and getting to market faster, while BMC comes out with half baked me-too products or just acquire another company to get into market place. All acquisitions are milked dry and no new investments are made to sustain and grow these investments. Funnily, the senior management are living in denial and keep patting each other's back on small short term deal wins and have no long term vision.

Advice to Management

Actually for the board of directors - Fire Bob and rest of the senior management and bring in a new leadership bench that have a clear vision and strategy for the company.