There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software

Like Lots of Work?

Former Employee - Finance in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice campus. Many perks, like free cokes, soups, dinners at quarter close, dry cleaners. Good benefits

Cons

Way too much overtime expected. When quarter-close or year-end close comes up, be prepared to work 18 hour days. And yes, they do feed you dinner for your efforts. The most frustrating part was that OT was mainly for 'face time" and the job really didn't require that amount of time, it was all about being seen at your desk. Environment of martyrs to see who could work the longest hours. No pay raises even budgeted, bonuses were ok but didn't make up for the lack of raises and overtime.

Actually have HR conduct exit interviews and then communicate to management. We had four people in our group of ten leave within a year and not one of us was asked for an exit interview....maybe management doesn't want to know why people leave in such droves?

483 Other Employee Reviews for BMC Software (View Most Recent)

The best place I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Talented workforce. Interesting and challenging work. Couldn't wait to get to work in the morning- the work was that much fun.

Cons

Constant layoffs have led to a lot of unproductive politics. I chose to leave for family reasons, even though I was offered the opportunity to telecommute. I knew that I would be endangering my family as the telecommuters are out of the loop so easy to axe when the quarterly statement dictates a cut. I still miss BMC but family first (aging parents)

Pay more attention to the people, products and long term plan -- ignore the quarterly variability. Take a page from Alan mulally's play book.

Stop the constant offshoring to make short term numbers look good, and sacrificing the long term. Remember we were the best little software house in Texas because of the dedicated people working non-stop voluntarily.

Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training opportunities
    Wide variety of products to work on

Cons

No yearly cost of living increases
    Top Heavy in Sales Management