There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software

Nice company but I am actually ashamed of our products...

Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Product Development in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice office, some extra perks, global company with travel and opportunities in many countries.

Cons

Your evaluation is based on how many hours you spend at the office. Your actual output does not seem to be important.
What really bothers me is that the majority of our product portfolio is actually pretty old and really not very good and we are not pushed for innovative developments because it might hurt the huge support income on some products. The integrations between products that should be so good and native are actually just custom build scripts etc.
Don't get me wrong, I like BMC as a company but I am realy starting to be more and more ashamed about our product portfolio.

Advice to Management

Give room for innovation!

reviews filtered by

BMC Software is like an old Blue Whale.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at BMC Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Still retains a slight halo from the mainframe computer days from 35 years ago. Smart acquisitions have kept the organization alive. But for every "Remedy" they bought five duds.

Cons

BMC is dysfunctional with finger pointing, fearful middle managers and ruthless politics by the old guard as they churn through contractors and newbies. The future is bleak. It is basically run by highly critical, vindictive, venture capital MBAs.

Advice to Management

The corprate culture is horrible. Eventually the VCs will sell off the profitable solutions.

Director product development

Current Employee - Director R&D in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Director R&D in Lexington, MA

I have been working at BMC Software full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Every on who works at BMC is great. Friendly, reasonable and very very professional. BMC pays and treats people well and great company to work for

Cons

Level of innovation and new product development is low. Company is afraid of failures. The R&D or M&A teams are not producing enough failures to get to few successes needed.

Advice to Management

Build more trail products to experiment with small set of customer trails. Use online tools for self help and promote cross customer interaction. Reach out to every end user who is using BMC product to learn better and help them. Apply some of the good toold from consumer / social media space to help end users

There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software