There are newer employer reviews for BMC Software

good for architects, bad for lower level engineers

Current Employee - Senior Product Developer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Product Developer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

relatively stable engineering department. despite work being moved to india, engineers are accomodated to other product teams. all attrition is based on performance only.

Cons

since most work is moving to india, engineers are under pressure to work at lead and architect level. workplace is cramped, and office benefits (cafeteria, gym, etc) are being eliminated quickly.

Advice to Management

They need to communicate clearly with the employees in San Jose regarding what jobs will be retained here, so they know what to work towards.

reviews filtered by

If you can 'blame-storm' this is the company for you

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at BMC Software

Pros

I have a feeling that if you work in one of the company's two main offices, located in Texas or India, the meeting times may be more manageable.

Cons

I'd heard about blame-storming, but I had never experienced it before being hired at BMC. If you know how to function in that kind of environment, go for it. I would also tell any new hire at BMC to talk to a trusted HR person to help them keep track of all the information that would be necessary to form a case for why your being fired is inappropriate. I would say set aside a good hour per day to devote to your note takings -- your management is doing this so should you be.

After working there, I had several recruiters comment that BMC has a habit of calling meetings that you must attend. The example given was a meeting notice that went out at about 5pm on the day a person was leaving for vacation, for a mandatory 6-7pm meeting. It was presented as a pervasive corporate habit.

Advice to Management

The in fighting and lack of employee satisfaction are affecting overall product quality.

Cheap company run by sales people

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at BMC Software

Pros

Generally a good work/life balance.
    The yearly bonus is nice if you are rated well
    The stock has done well during the recession

Cons

Cheap company. No salary adjustments in 2009. No surprise if none in 2010. Very difficult to get equipment needed to do the job. Despite the name BMC Software, the company is sales focused rather than software.
    Too many small bought up units in distributed locations which makes it very difficult to act as a single company.
    Inadequate technical leadership.
    Lack of innovation and product creation.
    Too many co-workers with sub par skills.
    Many product requirements but no funding to accomplish assigned tasks in the time desired.

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees. Don't focus only on top talent but grow all talent. Reduce offshore use and ensure that people on a team are in the same location.