BMI (New York)

www.bmi.com
  www.bmi.com
There are newer employer reviews for BMI (New York)

assistant to Senior director

Former Employee - Entry Level in New York, NY
Former Employee - Entry Level in New York, NY

I worked at BMI (New York)

Pros

it's one of the 3 copyright organization in the music industry, plus the experience in here got me the second and third job in the business so it was good to have in the resume.

Cons

My boss was a senior director who have decades of experience in the industry, who was not so considerate and thoughtful when it comes to take care of her employee.

My boss was a senior director who have decades of experience in the industry, who was not so considerate or thoughtful when it comes to take care of her employee.

26 Other Employee Reviews for BMI (New York) (View Most Recent)

It's a fine place to work...and by that, I mean it's just fine...

Current Employee - Audio Visual Music Analyst II in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Audio Visual Music Analyst II in Nashville, TN

I have been working at BMI (New York)

Pros

My coworkers are generally congenial, there is, on average, not that much tension in the office. My job is very low-stress, even when deadlines come around it's not a life-or-death situation. The hours are easy (only 37.5 per week for a full time employee), and we get 10 paid vacation days, 10 paid sick/personal days, and all major holidays off. Health, dental and vision benefits are great, and once a year the company does employee appreciation days where they plan games, food and adult beverages for everyone.

Cons

The company has several locations (New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, etc)., but Nashville's headquarters are the most antiquated. There's nothing trendy about the building. In my department (TV/Film Operations) opportunity for professional advancement is very rare. Even after a promotion and 2 raises I am only making $27,000/year. The job is glorified data entry and extremely boring; there is no challenge to this job. The only way to move up is to transfer to a different department or for someone to retire. I don't learn any new skills at this job for use in managerial positions; instead, I learn more about proprietary software that no one else uses.

The atmosphere on the 3rd floor is very impersonal and austere; having more interaction among employees and better communication from management would be useful. Also, allowing us to attend training sessions and providing a variety of work types would increase our motivation and interest in the job.

Good Entry Level - Those with talent have to leave to get make a competitive salary.

Current Employee - Licensing Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Licensing Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at BMI (New York)

Pros

Great people. Good benefit package although every year they take one of these pieces away. (three years ago this would have been great and 5 years ago it would have been excellent.).
    Flexible with employees when it comes to family and personal time off. Good entry level company.

Cons

Little opportunity to advance especially financially, salary is not competitive, management does not always communicate company vision and goals, they reward loyalty not performance. Notice most of the cons is surround pay. BMI DOES NOT COMPENSATE employees properly outside of executive management.

Be honest with employees about changes and fight for them to keep benefits and for additional raises. 1.8% one year then 1.5% the following year for your top performers will not cut it. You will constantly have a revolving door of employees only costing you more money than if you paid the good ones what they deserve.

There are newer employer reviews for BMI (New York)