Dependable and Fun, but political and career progression depends on your individual department/manager

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Project Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very predictable, not a lot is expected of you so if you do more than expected, you get noticed. Nice people, can make a difference if you try. Salaries seem a bit lower compared to peers, but fewer layoffs / firings. Actually very difficult to get fired. Senior senior management seems to be on track to meet targets.

Cons

Promotion is not always (often?) based on merit, often based on internal politics. For an allegedly data driven organization senior management is often too sensitive to political concerns than what the data is suggesting - particularly if the suggested course of action is new or "radical". Lifers (30 year plus) vets jealously guard their positions. While those at the highest levels of management impress, middle management seems scared / afraid to innovate.

Other Reviews for BMO Financial Group

People are great, great company

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Coquitlam, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group part-time for less than a year

Pros

People are nice, most of them have been there for 10 years plus. They seem very tight knit. All the manager were CSRs back in the day. Showing that there is potential to move up.

Cons

Have been cutting hours for some and hiring others.

Just another evil bank

Current Employee - Financial Service Manager
    Current Employee - Financial Service Manager

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not any I can think of...... I guess it's better than collecting welfare. Maybe.

Cons

Employees are totally over worked and under paid. I came in all idealistic and ready to start my career in the corporate world, but soon found out that unless you're willing to sell your soul, kiss ass, and take advantage of little old ladies with big pension cheques, you weren't going anywhere fast. After 5 years of witnessing more and more hypocrisy and underhandedness I just want to warn off anyone thinking of coming to work here. Take my advice, keep your karma clean and find somewhere else to work, otherwise you just might end up hating the person you see in the mirror everyday.

Stop trying to sugar coat your greed as "financial solutions." At least be honest about who you are: A huge corporation of fat cats who have convinced themselves that they "do good" in the world. Instead of telling your employees how great the company is - PROVE IT!

There are newer employer reviews for BMO Financial Group.

Worked for BMO Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!