BMO Financial Group

www.bmo.com
  www.bmo.com
There are newer employer reviews for BMO Financial Group

csr

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice employees, they want you to move forward

Cons

sales targets were high,favoritism was higher:(

none

504 Other Employee Reviews for BMO Financial Group (View Most Recent)

If you can't sell, don't even bother

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fixed hours as a teller. (No such thing anymore once you become an FSM)
    Nice friendly co-workers. Most customers are nice too.
    Work benefits are average, nothing special.

Cons

VERY low pay for a university grad. (But this is commonplace among the big 5 banks)

Stressful work environment:
    - Long lineups month-end and before/after holidays
    - Customer's fraudulent cheques, outages on cash could land you in hot water any-day
    - Potential bank robberies (had 2 at my branch when I was working there)

Career growth is heavy based on personal sales. If your branch location is not ideal, i.e. located in a poor area, then chances are you will be stuck in the same position / branch for a while, or even let go for lack of sales performance.
    My tips:
    - Make sure you land your CSR position at a branch with lots of new traffic. (Not the same customers day in/day out).
    - Part time CSR position beats full time any-day. Full time CSRs have disproportionately higher sales targets than part time. Full timers also have to take care of start of day/ end of day treasury duties.

On the other hand, customer satisfaction score (NPS) is calculated as a team score for the branch. In other words, if your branch coworker pissed off a customer really bad, you will share that bad customer review on your scorecard even if it has nothing to do with your own service.
    Be aware low NPS is always used as an excuse by upper/middle management to cut back on year-end bonuses!

Side notes:
    Before the year 2012, CSRs only had 2 weeks of annual vacation.
    As of summer 2013, CSRs not only have to sell credit cards, but also travel insurance!

Why are sales targets the same regardless of branch location/area? It basically gives the employees in the slum branches no incentive to stay in the branch/company, since they are highly unlikely to be able to match the sales performance of those located in the central business district.

Stop cutting back on staff at branches, I saw my branch go from 6 full-time tellers down to 3. Doesn't take much to figure out why employees AND customers are unhappy.

Please give meaningful recognition to ALL your employees, not just the ones who have good sales. My ex-coworker recently retired after 35 years of loyal service, and BMO couldn't even bother to pay for her retirement party! Glad I work somewhere else now where I can afford my portion of her retirement gift.

Doubtful that BMO will ever hit top 3.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group full-time

Pros

Working in certain divisions that have strong leaders.

Cons

Too political. No opportunity for advancement. No formal mentoring/sponsor program. Diversity lacking especially with women in management and executive ranks.

Talk with everyone at all levels. It may be it's not the person at the bottom of the organization that isn't performing but at the higher ranks. Too many cases seen where an executive whose division/department had a lot of issues (turnover, revenue, etc.) just get moved into some other role and there is no accountability.

There are newer employer reviews for BMO Financial Group