There are newer employer reviews for BMO Financial Group

Form Triumphs Over Substance

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group

Pros

Most people seem to recognize the importance of work-life balance. Lots of different areas to explore career-wise.

Cons

Have seen some improvements in the current leadership, but I still don't get the sense that we've a got a very strong strategic direction. Some of the executives that I've come into contact with seem more intent on making themselves look good in front of their higher-ups than on doing what's best for the best - sort of a triumph of form over substance.

Focus on what's important. The BMO culture has become too bureaucratic and sometimes seems focused on producing the perfect PowerPoint deck rather than on taking care of business.

483 Other Employee Reviews for BMO Financial Group (View Most Recent)

Big Bank slowly becoming more entrepreneurial

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at BMO Financial Group

Pros

breadth of career opportunities across the company . Currently is attempting to become a more nimble, responsive organization

Cons

large organization - culture bureaucratic and change comes slowly

stick with current strategic course

Good, steady job, with good opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BMO Financial Group

Pros

In midst of all this financial crisis, a top performing Canadian bank employee should be proud to be working for a healthy financial institution. BMO provides employees with several learning opportunities. The Institute For Learning (IFL) provides a world-class facility dedicated to specialised BMO training for a variety of roles, from the new graduate analyst through to senior executives. Certain groups are very strong in hiring for diversity.

Cons

As with any large corporation, office politics at work can impede project timelines. In the software development world, it is understood that project managers are not necessarily technical savvy, but they should at least have capacity to understand what is going on. It's been in my experience that some project managers have no idea on what is actually being developed, resulting in time wasted on miscommunication.

Promotions in the early career path should be more meritocratic.

There are newer employer reviews for BMO Financial Group