BNSF Railway

www.bnsf.com

Great Company to work for

Former Employee - Train Dispatcher  in  Fort Worth, TX
Former Employee - Train Dispatcher in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great Pay and Benefits and Lots of opportunity for advancement

Cons

union jobs own your life

be more understanding to family obligations

Other reviews for BNSF Railway

Mechanical Intern in Lincoln, NE

Former Employee - Mechanical Intern  in  Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Mechanical Intern in Lincoln, NE

Pros

BNSF is an industry leader and is head and shoulders above the likes of Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern. As an intern, you will get great experience and work with employees that have been with the company for 40+ years. The salary is substantially more than any other internship program in the nation, ranging anywhere from $3,000 - $4,000 per month depending on your status in school. They also offer a great relocation package which is unheard of in this economy. Everyone, even the older union employees, were extremely helpful and nice because they make your development their priority. If you work in the mechanical department, you will be in a diesel shop all summer which was great because I got to work on the locomotives that came into the shop to get serviced. Overall, it was a great resume builder and I am glad I did it.

Cons

If you get an internship in operations with BNSF, plan on being relocated to virtually anywhere in the western 28 states. This wouldn't be an issue, but they expect you to get up and move with very little notice. The mechanical department is very disorganized and my boss this past summer had basically no work for me, so I was bored out of my mind. If I could do it over again, I would try to get an internship at the corporate headquarters because they all had a blast this summer and did some interesting projects. I was alone in the middle of the Midwest with no work to do all summer, so you can imagine how much fun that was. If you get an internship in the mechanical department, plan to work early hours, have nothing to do 7 out of the 8 working hours in the day, and be jealous of all the fun the other interns are having.

Develop a better internship program with a set of objectives and goals for each intern to accomplish so time is never wasted at work.

stressful

Current Employee - Freight Conductor  in  Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Freight Conductor in Minot, ND

Pros

high pay, when you obtain decent seniority, great medical, and one of the best pensions in the marketplace.

Cons

laid off regularly in your first year, always on call day or night, and always worried about breaking one of the thousands of rules and taken to investigation.

never hire inexperienced people to be in charge of experienced ones. it will never work. quit trying to constantly fire your workforce. how is that beneficial. start paying your hourly employees weekly. its hard for broke, newer employees to make it in some geographic areas with this lifestyle adjustment.

There are newer employer reviews for BNSF Railway.

Worked for BNSF Railway? Contribute to the Community!