BNSF Locomotive Engineer

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Galesburg, IL
Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

Good job security, pay, and benefits with some of the best equipment to work with in the industry. It is also a good job to have.

Cons

Some of the downsides of working at BNSF railroad is that you have no set schedule to know when you are going to work.

Advice to Management

To the senior management in the Galesburg yard, you need to show some respect to the guy's who do the work for you. Like having cookouts like other yards in the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

good place to work but needs improvement of management

Current Employee - Switchman in Barstow, TX
    Current Employee - Switchman in Barstow, TX

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

good people to work with fun job get to travel

Cons

they put people in management that never work a railroad and is lost and i promote management to higher ups with know people skills

Advice to Management

take barstow u cut jobs witch i under stand trainservice went from 56 jobs to 40 jobs but u have 21 trainsmasters and adding 2 more more trainmasters and less switchman how is that???

Proud to pound the high iron for BNSF Railway!

Current Employee - BNSF FREIGHT CONDUCTOR/SWITCHMEN in Gillette, WY
    Current Employee - BNSF FREIGHT CONDUCTOR/SWITCHMEN in Gillette, WY

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

It is a capital intensive business that require critical thinking even in Train Service Capacity it either will conquer the person unable to deal with the demands or will elevate them to position of Self fulfillment. Financially it can be quite rewarding but if you come to the railroad for paycheck I personally think you are here for the wrong reasons, I came here for the railroad and to bring as much to the table as I could muster, I believe that BNSF fosters a strong work ethic and makes safety a way of Life. I am Proud to say I work for the BNSF Railway!

Cons

I can not come up wit any negatives about the Railroad from a company standpoint. I believe the BNSF Railway makes decisions that protect the stockholders and since they run they own and run the company and pay my salary I have very little to complain about maybe I could complain about the folks who clean the motors but that is not the company's fault it is the employees fault in that position not doing his or her job with most loyal dedication to the company that pays them...

Advice to Management

My advice to management Both Senior and Frontline(trainmasters,ect) we should as A Company require by rule that all employees must actually learn and pass a test on the History of BNSF its predecessors the passing score should be set at 75% and the test should be at least 500 questions, with write in portions covering up to 25 % of the total test. The employee should only get 8 hours to pass the test at one sitting with minimal breaks. Failure of the test would constitute loss of job or promotion ie: Conductor from New hire status, and forfeiture of any pay earned for time consumed completing the test there shall not be a retest on this test it is Pass or Fail. This is my opinion and I believe if the people who worked for BNSF truly knew railroad history they would never question a written rule....