horrible

Current Employee - I E O in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - I E O in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

getting a paycheck and geico discount

Cons

no sick days,no overtime after 40hrs,biweekly pay,seniority doesn't count for much,no clean up time,can't bid for days off according to seniority and job duties.

Advice to Management

BNSF needs to pay better than a subcontractor.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good job, but requires some sacrifices

Former Employee - Conductor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Conductor in Denver, CO

I worked at BNSF Railway

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, union job, great comraderie with co-workers, can work locally or over the rail, plenty of downtime on the job.

Cons

Can take a toll on your personal/family life, irregular work schedule can be a challenge mentally and physically, good chance you will be laid-off for periods of time during your first 5-years of employment.

Advice to Management

Let the trainmasters do their jobs. Give your workers some recognition for a job well done once in a while.

TY&E personnel keep this company afloat

Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Galesburg, IL
    Current Employee - Locomotive Engineer in Galesburg, IL

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

In all honesty there are only three reasons to work for BNSF. The first is the pay. Few jobs that I'm aware of allow someone with no more than a high school education to make the kind of money that we do. Second the benefits package is also quite good. Third are the other people in TY&E (Train, yard, and engine) service. The people who do the actual work of moving freight are masters at making the best of a less than satisfactory situation.

Cons

The is a gulf of immense proportions between TY&E and managment especially front line supervisors, i.e. trainmasters, terminal managers, etc. It is quite amazing how hostile the attitudes of some of these supervisors are toward the employees who work for them. It is most definitely an Us vs. Them mentality. The great majority of the TY&E personnel simply want to do their jobs and go home safely to their families, but the frontline supervisors tend to treat us as though we are incompetent children who are a nuisance to them. The term "trainmaster" used to mean something because the company used to promote through the ranks and if you were a trainmaster it usually meant you had years of actual TY&E experience. Now the company mainly hires from outside the industry or straight from college and thus the people making the decisions have very little, if any applicable knowledge of the jobs they are supervising. These same people are the ones preaching that "no job is more important that safety" and yet do everything in their power to lobby for one man crews. I would like someone to explain how one man working twelve hours by himself in control of thousands of tons of hazardous material is safe for anyone?

Advice to Management

Act like human beings. Stop treating the men and women on the ground like we are trying to rob the company. Require frontline supervisors and dispatchers to have actual knowledge of the territory and jobs that they oversee. Realize that not every situation is black and white, and use common sense when making decisions. Utilize TY&E employees' practical knowledge instead of denying that we have any understanding of how the system works.