Pays the bills

Current Employee - Track Supervisor in Barstow, CA
Current Employee - Track Supervisor in Barstow, CA

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

Decent money as long as you are willing to put in the hours. I dont think the way they promote or give the pre-merger guys special seniorty is fair nor is it correct.

Cons

Prior rights is the worst thing any union job that i have worked for. It doesnt maake sense that some one thats been working a job for 7 years can can get knocked out by a guy with 2 weeks.

Advice to Management

We are out here busting our asses to make sure you get your bonus but when things go wrong you easily forgot all the time and sweat we put into the job

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. it was a very uncomfortable place to work

Current Employee - Rail Clerk in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Rail Clerk in Topeka, KS

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

the pay is a above average, the medical benefits for union clerks is pretty good

Cons

there is no chance of advancement to management for clerks in topeka, the clerks that want to bid for other positions are denied. no diversity in topeka, its just a very uncomfortable place to work. Clerks are forced to work 16 hrs for several days at a time

Advice to Management

hire more competent management

sounds like fun but, if you love your wife or your family keep looking for a better job and a better life

Current Employee - Conductor in Thayer, MO
    Current Employee - Conductor in Thayer, MO

I have been working at BNSF Railway

Pros

Easy work and good pay if you live in a small town like me. you can go to work take a train to the away from home terminal and back and sometimes not even see a boss.

Cons

no family life. You think that you can manage but after a while you just cant keep up. you give up all the things you love one by one. you have no schedule and can't make plans because you are on call 24 7. and if you can live with that you should be ok.... until they lay you off without warning. I have been laid off and had to travel to keep a job with them. I have worked out of 16 different depots in the last 7 years and still don't know for sure where I will be a week from know.

Advice to Management

start to care about people. not just stockholders but the employees and their family as well. there is plenty of room to treat us well and still make profits hand over fist. The lack of a good lineup or schedule has cost me everything I love to do with my family, church, school, and recreation ant those things are the primary reason to have a good job.