There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

Great Company with Great Benefits!

Current Employee - Systems Specialist  in  Syracuse, NY
Current Employee - Systems Specialist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, with awesome vacation time. I've worked there for 4 years and have 3 weeks off with the option to buy a week, plus 3 personal days. Next year, at 5 years, I will have 4 weeks with the option to buy a week, plus 3 personal days. Can't beat that.

Cons

It can be difficult to move up. A lot of competition.

1223 Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon (View Most Recent)

Heart in the right place, but head in the sand

Current Employee - Applications Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Applications Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible work arrangements and career opportunities are there for those who network. Immediate management is doing the best with what they have.

Cons

Low pay, frozen pay and little to no recognition for above average contribution
    Cuts were too deep across too many areas, many functions have yet to recover. It's nearly impossible to count on routine requests being routine.
    Instead of hiring desperately needed employees the response has been to obtain, train and release contractors in a never ending cycle, bleeding institutional knowledge..
    Management by metrics isn't taking into account the very important factors of culture and other intangibles. Too much 'ivory tower', senior management projects the image they are above understanding the interconnections of data and systems.

Stop spending money on new cubicles and invest in the workforce.

Ranked the #11 worst company to work for with good reason.

Current Employee - Fund Accountant  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I developed some great friendships with some great people who are all in the same boat here. That's it.

9 out of 10 people I know here want out. It's that bad.

Cons

Most people make below $40k, and when I say "below", I mean on average $36k. It is nearly impossible to break that number here in any reasonable amount of time,a nd on't even think of trying to start at 40k. I've been here for a handful of years (enough to know this is offiically a dead end), have a college degree, and I'm still sub-40k, hence my leaving asap.

Raises have been cut over and over. I am now just around 1.5% per year. In other words, my raise is less than the increases in my medical insurance, gas and tolls, all individually compared to the raise, every year.

I, as well as others I know, have asked for raises based on positive, gleaming and flawless performance reviews. Not happening. I even asked for a single level promotion with no money increase just so I could have it on my resume. Nope. They never have the money, but they keep wheeling temps in here and giving half of them permanent positions.

No corporate culture. There were employee engagement activities in the past, but they have all been cut. We get a desk calendar and a t-shirt that we don't need if we're lucky. Oh, and pizza once a year. We'd all rather just have the $5 in our pockets.

Pershing is on-site in the same building as us. We are separated by a wall for compliance issues, but it is more like a socio-economic divide experiment, as they all make considerably more than us and still get an actual holiday party with liquor and real food after hours. We get some italian takeout and soda at lunchtime when it's our turn. Definitely the 2nd class citizens here.

The same people seem to get promoted over and over. Others have noticed it as well, and it is very, very odd.

I could go on and on. Bottom line, you don't want to work here unless your lifestyle is bare bones simple and you can afford to work for mid- $30's for a long time. If you have student loans and aren't on public assistance then look elsewhere. Most people here, including managers, work two jobs to get by.

We know nothing will ever change with the pay or the promotions, so, as far as my location, acknowledge that the only answer is to leave, so we have been, en masse. You don't care about that either, as employee retention and talent development/professional development are not in your plan. We all know we could just as easily die slowly in our cubes over the next 30-40 years and never crack $40k and that would be fine by you. The whole #11 rankling as a worst place to work thing doesn't phase you and you'll just get more incompetent temps or people with low expectations to do the job. You'd rather take some bad press and save money, than to get onboard and change the environment we work in and for. Your employees are underpaid and unhappy. Again, your employees are underpaid and unhappy.

There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

Worked for BNY Mellon? Contribute to the Community!