BNY Mellon

There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

BNY Mellon Shareowner services

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at BNY Mellon as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

great people, great management. Work environment was comfortable, and was made even more comfortable with the CEO being a fun person to have a short talk with, given you are both on a break at the same time

Cons

compensation was alright. Being in financial services, one would expect to be compensated more.

1432 Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon (View Most Recent)

Overall, a satisfying experience.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good use of technology and good employee benefits. Quarterly technology review meetings keep everyone up to speed on the bank's use of technology.

Cons

Merit increases not worth the wait. Bonuses used to reward good work, but even they became small. Training was encouraged, but mostly through online courses.

If you are not going to provide decent merit increases try rewarding through other means, such as telecommuting.

Ranked the #11 worst company to work for with good reason.

Current Employee - Fund Accountant in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Fund Accountant in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I developed some great friendships with some great people who are all in the same boat here. That's it.

9 out of 10 people I know here want out. It's that bad.

Cons

Most people make below $40k, and when I say "below", I mean on average $36k. It is nearly impossible to break that number here in any reasonable amount of time,a nd on't even think of trying to start at 40k. I've been here for a handful of years (enough to know this is offiically a dead end), have a college degree, and I'm still sub-40k, hence my leaving asap.

Raises have been cut over and over. I am now just around 1.5% per year. In other words, my raise is less than the increases in my medical insurance, gas and tolls, all individually compared to the raise, every year.

I, as well as others I know, have asked for raises based on positive, gleaming and flawless performance reviews. Not happening. I even asked for a single level promotion with no money increase just so I could have it on my resume. Nope. They never have the money, but they keep wheeling temps in here and giving half of them permanent positions.

No corporate culture. There were employee engagement activities in the past, but they have all been cut. We get a desk calendar and a t-shirt that we don't need if we're lucky. Oh, and pizza once a year. We'd all rather just have the $5 in our pockets.

Pershing is on-site in the same building as us. We are separated by a wall for compliance issues, but it is more like a socio-economic divide experiment, as they all make considerably more than us and still get an actual holiday party with liquor and real food after hours. We get some italian takeout and soda at lunchtime when it's our turn. Definitely the 2nd class citizens here.

The same people seem to get promoted over and over. Others have noticed it as well, and it is very, very odd.

I could go on and on. Bottom line, you don't want to work here unless your lifestyle is bare bones simple and you can afford to work for mid- $30's for a long time. If you have student loans and aren't on public assistance then look elsewhere. Most people here, including managers, work two jobs to get by.

We know nothing will ever change with the pay or the promotions, so, as far as my location, acknowledge that the only answer is to leave, so we have been, en masse. You don't care about that either, as employee retention and talent development/professional development are not in your plan. We all know we could just as easily die slowly in our cubes over the next 30-40 years and never crack $40k and that would be fine by you. The whole #11 rankling as a worst place to work thing doesn't phase you and you'll just get more incompetent temps or people with low expectations to do the job. You'd rather take some bad press and save money, than to get onboard and change the environment we work in and for. Your employees are underpaid and unhappy. Again, your employees are underpaid and unhappy.

There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon