BP
www.bp.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Good starting point - now tired of bureaucracy and laziness

Reservoir Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsIf you are not interfering with you managers agenda you can take training all you want. Lots of little trinkets especially for D&C folks. NAG D&C guys all got Ipads to be "more productive" and to motivate them from not leaving the company. If you want little headache of getting things done on time and job security this company is for you. People are understanding if you come in at 9:30 AM every time and leave at 4:30 while working 9-80's, because everyone does it and no one cares.

ConsMany Many and I repeat Many lazy people. Out of 10 people there would be 1 or 2 people who actually wants to get things done. People are milking the system and playing office, putting power points together and having bureaucratic debates. People are extremely cocky and dont realize that the rest of the world does not revolve around BP. Company is big and it had became that way because of the hard work of people in the 90's. If people behaved themselves then they way they do now BP would be half of its size it is today.

Well cost is over run by at least 20 % compared to the industry economics are slim and in a lot of cases many wells drilled today will never pay out. The company is loosing money and I not surprising that the stock is not doing anything.

People doing international assignments spend 20-30K per trip overseas to present something that could be shown over the internet. People don't care about wasting companies money!

Recently implemented functions suck, it is truly dysfunctional organization in the E&P. The end product "the well" and its production rate is NOT a priority, priority is safety first and CYA.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Bob Dudley - you want your BP stock to go up?, Fire 2/3's of the company that is sitting around putting on power points and working 6 hours a day clocking in/out, only keep people who are motivated who want to be there. Fire old people who are grade level F making 250K/year and not contributing anything but stories about what they did when they were young. Stop giving away trinkets and recognize people with spot bonuses. Get rid of the functions and put the asset teams back. You need democracy in the company and not communism.

Good company overall, too many "Yes Men"

Automation (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: They pay good, decent benefits (school reimbursement, 401k match, pension, medical, etc). Many opportunities (they are the 4th largest company… Cons: "Yes Men" seem to get management positions about 3/4 of the time, with or without proper qualifications; so all the issues that come with that...… Advice to Senior Management: Recognize individual's, good and bad. Do the right thing vs.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great experience .... would do it again in a heart beat....

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Wayne, NJ

I worked at BP as a contractor for more than a year

Pros: Good salary.... good working conditions...lots of work... Most people you… Cons: Some of the people you were forced to work with run hot and cold...… Advice to Senior Management: Some of the mid level managers do not work to obtain the best performance… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on BP.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BP CEO Robert Dudley. All reviews posted anonymously by BP employees.