There are newer employer reviews for BP

This is one of the best jobs I've ever had. I love it!!!

Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
Current Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Team environment, flexible schedules, great organizational structure. Wonderful ammenities including, on site trails, gym, various fitness classes, personal trainer, many employee/contractor perks with outside business.

Cons

Very hard to get hired on permanent. A lot of contract workers, and if you don't have previous oil & gas experience, it is likely you won't be considered for a position.

Advice to Management

Consider a person's overall experience as it relates to the job description, and not the industry that the person will be working in.

Other Employee Reviews for BP

1. Mechanical Engineering Intern

Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

As a new hire, BP offers great benefits. They have a required "course" for new hires that provides guidance and training - and an assurance that to their best ability, you will be put into a role that you enjoy working in. The Houston offices are very modern and accommodating. As an intern, they offer a good chance to network with others and also some good summer activities, as well as good pay and relocation benefits for the summer (including travel costs and housing options.) Senior management was all very friendly - there is no discouragement - in fact they were very happy - to get the chance to talk to interns on the "front line" and learn more about our first impressions and talk to me (and others) about career advice etc.

Cons

Coming into the position I wasn't sure on what position I would play or work I would do. Turns out to have been very different from what I anticipated. Ironically if I had known before hand I wouldn't have thought it to be all that great, but with all the added benefits of being here it has been well worth it. There has been some disconnect between recruiters for groups and the HR in university relations...

Advice to Management

Just for the intern program, try to be more on top of the communication that takes place with interns/coops. It's all that we have as far as HR goes... I think that the actual supervisors that interns work with are great at what they do, though some could be more proactive and involved (not mine but some of my peers at least.) I'm pretty sure that most of the people I have talked to would definitely return to BP unless there happened to be some crazy good offer from somewhere else, so seems like overall a good job.

Not a good place to be a contractor

Current Contractor - Landman in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Landman in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

This a global company, so you'll be exposed to a wide range of information from people from many different disciplines. Not too many micro-managing types, which is good.

Cons

The pay is under market, and they treat their contractors in professional positions like employees, although they don't offer them jobs. The hire interns with no experience, and essentially throw them into fields where they might not be competent enough to be of value, but then let contractors linger in their positions for years. Also, they do not observe the MLK national holiday. I know it's a British company, but that just seems wrong. This only applies to the Houston location. I don't know how London operates.

Advice to Management

Utilize the talent you already have! A GPA is not the best indicator of a person's ability to be a valuable asset to your company.