There are newer employer reviews for BP

Unfortunate experience with a company that I wanted to retire with; a big mistake that would have been.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP

Pros

As a consultant, it was a very easy and enjoyable position. I was initially an IBM/pWc Consultant, later BP insourced all of the consultants in their job capacities + 50% more duties.

Cons

The workload was extremely heavy and BP management simply did not listen and infact, they rebutted that it was not too much, more over we where labeled inefficient.

Advice to Management

Without employees you don't have staff to operate the business, LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES, they are simply the thermometer of how the business is doing now and in the future.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Delivers work/life balance, but red tape and processes still prevail over common business sense.

Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Petroleum Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Flex fridays and casual office environment and culture generally live up to warm and fuzzy, good work life balance image, although flex fridays have been taken away from some groups in other areas of the company. Vacation time relatively weak compared to competition, but management in generally flexible if there are family issues that limit your work availability. Salary is reasonable, but much better can be had in industry, new bonus structure is good (if you have a good relationship with your supervisor), disappointing otherwise. Benefits are solid. Worldwide work locations with opportunities for advancement if you toe the company line and keep your opinion to yourself.

Cons

Alot of processes and red tape, trumping common sense more often than not. It's often unclear who is accountable and who makes decisions with constantly shifting management priorities. Too many layers of management that are reorganized and shuffled every 12 to 18 months and regularly roll out non-value adding initiatives that create a ton of work for technical staff, get some manager a promotion, and leave unrealistic expectations for the next manager. Internal job postings are "just for show", new roles and promotion opportunities are largely pre-determined and based on diversity and politics rather than merit. Alot of dead weight across the org charts, with several good people having left recently.

Advice to Management

SIMPLIFY things, no new processes! Promotions based on merit rather than diversity and politics.

2. For what it is, pretty good. Needs some improvement, but who doesn't?

Current Employee - Instrument and Controls Technician in Houma, LA
    Current Employee - Instrument and Controls Technician in Houma, LA

I have been working at BP

Pros

Actually if you work hard and are unrelenting in accomplishing your job, this place has fairly decent opportunities. Management will at least act like they are listening to you. Management won’t fly of the handle and scream or lose their cool very often, if ever. The company is getting its VPP (variable pay for performance) package to be fairer in rewarding those who work hard and consistently. Hourly people can get a VPP in four different brackets; (a.) under expectations=0% bonus, (b.) meets expectations=7% bonus, (c.) exceeds expectations=17.5% bonus, (d.) exceptional=21% bonus. It is a little more complex than that but, not much and it is pretty fair in a lot of ways. They match 401k at 7%, administered through Fidelity. The overall resources for work /life balance are pretty great considering the size of the company. I get four forty hour weeks paid vacation every year, but I work 84 hour weeks offshore so I really get two offshore weeks off every year. They pay $250 towards fitness equipment for you to buy for your home uses every year, plus $300 for participating in other health initiatives through BPhit program. So, I can have six weeks in a row off every year without missing my base check. Nice. You won’t ever be harassed for taking the time to do the job safely or environmentally friendly. They do have mechanisms in place to report unethical management practices so that you have a form of recourse if they want you to take unnecessary chances or risks. I appreciate the fact that even if they are truly at heart an oil company, they are taking steps to create a greener company. Overall, I am pretty happy with the company, for what it is and what industry it is in.

Cons

It is a big company so they have some trouble with change. You have to really work to get anyone to follow recommendations or listen to advice, but it can be done. More so than many places this one has lots of chiefs, lots of initiatives, lots of programs, and all these lead to lots of paperwork. The hire in process leaves a lot to be desired. There are many programs that the only way you find out about them is by asking your coworkers, and that is what HR expects. Sometimes it seems that the extraneous programs and initiatives are more important to management than being good at your job. The politically correct speech and business politics have taken hold of BP and sometimes you long for the “good ole days” when you could say what you mean and mean what you say. It seems that it is all about CYA (cover you’re a**), there are the expected politics and ole boy club that characterizes the oil field. Sometimes common sense takes a back seat to London or Houston’s whims. Not that they are all bad but sometimes they seem overblown, over engineered, and under thought. Sometimes the company doesn’t have the time or money to do things right the first time, but we will have it either on the second or third time though. ? I have never known any other schedule but I work offshore and my schedule is 14 days on 14 days off and 12 hour days for the 14 days that I am at work, I think that I would like to try something else. Not BP’s fault, but it is one negative about the job for me.

Advice to Management

Sometimes the dissenting voice isn’t just a troublemaker. The “devil’s advocate” can be a very useful and enlightening tool for quality change. There is danger in “group think” and yes men. Often time’s middle management has the tendency to reward those who agree with them and always smile nicely, it’s as if we reward the growth of back stabbers and snakes in the grass. Those who think critically should be rewarded for bringing their opinions and views to the table as well (If the ideas have been thought out well and make sense …etc...). This company is big on D&I, well just because someone looks the same doesn’t mean that their view point is going to be the same. Other cultures don’t have the market on good ideas. Also, let’s learn how to make a decision and stick to it, instead of making every decision a committee effort. Many decisions take up too much time and money because middle management is scared to have a bad decision on their record. So they make no or few decision at all. This is just as inefficient for business operations. It’s a fine line of balance between tolerating bad decision makers and letting people learn to make better decisions, but it is a balance we should handle more effectively. I appreciate our present standing and turnaround in the industry. I believe as you have said, we are positioned well for the future, and thank you for helping me help you keep us all in a job. Keep on doing your side well and I’ll keep up my end! Kai-zen!!