BP
www.bp.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

BP can be a great company.

Production Engineer (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

ProsQuality fields and stimulating assignments. The work is usually challenging and often rewarding. BP gives the employee freedom and control to drive projects. If you think you have a good idea, BP will let you pursue it. Great pay, great benefits. Sponsors the communities where it conducts its business. Great opportunities for industry training and exposure to global travel. BP gives you support for your desired career path. If you want to be the worlds premier drilling foreman, they will work with you to find a way.

ConsBP has put so many internal processes in place that it is becoming more difficult with each passing year to get real work done, rendering the company to that of a large ocean liner that takes more time and effort to make a simple turn. These processes also cause costs and complexities to rise. It seems as if BP operating cost structure is much higher than the industry average. Employees (even management!) within the company recognize this but feel helpless to be able to make changes. In a strange twist, it is not uncommon to see lazy employees use burdensome processes as an excuse to not tackle demanding work in the first place. Motivated people may be discouraged to put in a weeks worth of work to do something that should only take a day. Unfortunately one of the consequences of this spiral is that it tends to repel the type of employee that can make a company great and instead attract those that won't.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease don't be afraid to stand up against the processes that are beginning to cripple us. Many are held sacred and sometimes to a fault. Question why and challenge to remove them or at least introduce more common or business sense to them. We are trying to run a business, not a non-profit 401c. Don't standardize a facility in West Texas to operate with the same parameters as an offshore North Sea platform. You get the picture.

Working at BP isn't so bad, but the pay isn't enough to live on if you're on your own.

Cashier (Current Employee)
    Rocky River, OH

I have been working at BP part-time for less than a year

Pros: Usually there is down-time through out your day which helps if you need to study for school. My… Cons: Making minimum wage isn't enough, especially if you live on your own and have students loans… Advice to Senior Management: It would be great if they could offer a little more per hour to their workers. At least enough so that someone can support themselves.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

BP

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
    Texas City, TX

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: A lot of opportunity for career advance Cons: red tapes and politics and Lawsuits Advice to Senior Management: cutting down the layers of complexity No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on BP.

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BP reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for BP CEO Robert Dudley. All reviews posted anonymously by BP employees.