There are newer employer reviews for BP

BP intern

Current Employee - Professional Intern  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Professional Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice colleagues, interesting work and project opportunities. Good salary, good health benefits. The red tape culture seems to have changed people to get to the point quickly in conversations (there is enough red tape to deal with already), so people prefer to solve things by open communication.

Cons

Lack of vision for company culture evolution and company operations evolution. Mountains of paperwork and red tape to get anything done. Bad company name and reputation due to the Spill. Lack of accountability for internal messups (of any size).

Clear up the red tape.

807 Other Employee Reviews for BP (View Most Recent)

BP can be a great company.

Current Employee - Production Engineer  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Quality fields and stimulating assignments. The work is usually challenging and often rewarding. BP gives the employee freedom and control to drive projects. If you think you have a good idea, BP will let you pursue it. Great pay, great benefits. Sponsors the communities where it conducts its business. Great opportunities for industry training and exposure to global travel. BP gives you support for your desired career path. If you want to be the worlds premier drilling foreman, they will work with you to find a way.

Cons

BP has put so many internal processes in place that it is becoming more difficult with each passing year to get real work done, rendering the company to that of a large ocean liner that takes more time and effort to make a simple turn. These processes also cause costs and complexities to rise. It seems as if BP operating cost structure is much higher than the industry average. Employees (even management!) within the company recognize this but feel helpless to be able to make changes. In a strange twist, it is not uncommon to see lazy employees use burdensome processes as an excuse to not tackle demanding work in the first place. Motivated people may be discouraged to put in a weeks worth of work to do something that should only take a day. Unfortunately one of the consequences of this spiral is that it tends to repel the type of employee that can make a company great and instead attract those that won't.

Please don't be afraid to stand up against the processes that are beginning to cripple us. Many are held sacred and sometimes to a fault. Question why and challenge to remove them or at least introduce more common or business sense to them. We are trying to run a business, not a non-profit 401c. Don't standardize a facility in West Texas to operate with the same parameters as an offshore North Sea platform. You get the picture.

Working at BP isn't so bad, but the pay isn't enough to live on if you're on your own.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Rocky River, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Rocky River, OH

I have been working at BP part-time for less than a year

Pros

Usually there is down-time through out your day which helps if you need to study for school. My boss is great. She's very understanding and always willing to give me the days off that I need.

Cons

Making minimum wage isn't enough, especially if you live on your own and have students loans to pay. Sometimes the customers are a little difficult to deal with and that can be stressful.

It would be great if they could offer a little more per hour to their workers. At least enough so that someone can support themselves. BP is a huge company. The way I look at it, only one person has to buy a pack of cigarettes every hour to equal my pay. That's not counting all of the gas, beer, food, etc. that we sell.

There are newer employer reviews for BP

Worked for BP? Contribute to the Community!