BP

www.bp.com
  www.bp.com
There are newer employer reviews for BP

Hectic, fun, and full of opportunities

Current Employee - Process Engineer
Current Employee - Process Engineer

I have been working at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Work with some of the industries brightest
* Flexible work schedule
* Better work/home balance than average
* Upper quartile pay and benefits
* Large scale of operations, seems like the projects you work on have a big impact
* Good corporate culture, especially from R&D folks
* Shareholder friendly
* Team atmosphere. People typically like to pull together when you can get the backing.

Cons

* Complex sets of engineering rules and practices makes any project implementation an exercise in research
* A C.Y.A. attitude among employees and management. This is both good and bad. I makes you be very thorough when designing new equipment, but that thoroughness is done so that if something does not work like it should then you have documents proving you were (should be) right. "I designed this (heat exchanger... whatever) to API, TEMA and BP standards so I don't know why it's not working. It's not my fault." Not a totally bad attitude to have because due to it 99% of things work great.
* Company is in a major state of flux with employees always wondering what the BU will do next to repair its image. As employees, we are ready to move on and get this dark cloud over us gone so we can get back to safe, compliant, and profitable business operations.
* Desire to be the best, but often throws lots of money to fix issues (behaviors and process) with less than optimal return on capital deployed.
* More office politics (read... promotion and career molding) than I personally like. There are some people that if you cross them they can stop your career dead in its tracks. We have a saying that we work in a "glass house", so don't throw stones and don't try to hide anything because it will all come out and you'll look like a fool.
* Everything you work on is a high priority and was needed yesterday. Always shuffling priorities.

I know you want to be the best (safety and cost), but let's get some direction first then implement all the solutions. Seems like the cart comes before the horse a lot of times. Can we really afford all these consultants? Keep up the good work with S&OR. It is a complicated love/hate relationship, but they bring value to the company and keep us all level. Keep a balanced company portfolio. I see too much cutting downstream, your competitors keep a sizable downstream operation to offset lower upstream margins when oil prices swing. If you want to be an E&P company only then it's best to split in 2 companies (one upstream & one downstream).

868 Other Employee Reviews for BP (View Most Recent)

Public Relations Manager

Former Employee - Government and Public Relations in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Government and Public Relations in Houston, TX

I worked at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work!!! The company pays really well. There room for career advancement. Company really strong advocate for creating a diversified workforce where everyone is respected!

Cons

My position became redundant and I was laid-off.

Great company with a rich history and a global presence

Current Employee - Lead Training Specialist in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Lead Training Specialist in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at BP full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great brand recognition, good people and good focus on people and diversity.

Cons

Functions within the company are divided into specific silos which can cause confusion and unnecessary rework due to the lack of collaboration.

There are newer employer reviews for BP