BP

www.bp.com
There are newer employer reviews for BP

A very good company, not perfect, but full of potential.

Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Good people. Professional atmosphere. Extremely environmentally and safety minded.
BP supervisors treat people fairly. I've not had the best experiences with HR, however. I generally view HR as evil. A lot of us do.

BP has great potential. We are at a pivotal period. The next 2 years will be very telling as to whether or not we can become the best, or merely remain a profitable company that continues to stand in the shadow of Shell and Exxon.

My hope is on Tony Hayward -- he has a hell of a task in front of him. I wish him the best.

Cons

Pay is a bit low compared to competitors. This is evidenced by a high turn-over rate in the last two years as many BP employees have gone to work for better paying oil companies.

We have a new CEO (on the corporate level) -- Tony Hayward. He is in a tough position, as BP stock has been seriously out-performed by Exxon and other competitors. Tony is big on making "every dollar count". This is good, but we've also witnessed some sweeping changes that seem to save money up front, but are costing us down the road.

Gain share (VPP) is now a forced ranking system. Every year, ten percent of all BP employees will be sh!t holed and receive absolutely no gain share or cost of living raise. I would love to know the Einstein that came up with this idea. If ten percent of your employees deserve nothing, then get rid of them!!! Don't make them disgruntled by keeping them on but humiliating them. One day, someone will go postal over this stupid policy.

Stop the knee-jerk reaction. Yes CEO John Browne is gone, yes Tony Hayward is now at the reigns -- but too much change too fast is having some major downsides.

Ditch the stupid forced ranking where supervisors are required to select ten percent of their people, rate them (essentially) as losers, humiliate them, give them no reward or annual raise, but them keep them on board where their newly disgruntled attitude spreads like poison. It amazes me that someone in upper management thinks that this is a good idea.

913 Other Employee Reviews for BP (View Most Recent)

A British Company trying to be an American company doing business in the USA.

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

They let people pursue their outside passions. Individuals can participate in professional organizations if they choose, However, this is not necessary and more often tahn not managament simply pays no attention to those employees that have managed to find their way into relationships that can be influential in state and federal government. There are a number of very competent personnel as individual contributors. These professionals are very willing to share their knowledge and provide mentoring. Mostly though, these folks do their job and go home never pausing to look back as they await a buy-out package or retirement.

Cons

One must stay inside the context of one's job, follow orders and let the Brit's run the outfit. You'll survive and collect a paycheck. Upward feedback is an exercise as the overall culture and morale never seems to change much from year to year. Creativity is not necessary; it is expected that one will stick to their knitting and get their work done.

Diversify; send the british ex-pats home and promote US citizens for management ranks.

Bad Upper management

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP

Pros

Work Life Balance, they care about their employees, good not great compensation. Good 1st level leadership,. Overall good company, great company to start career and great company to finish career, not very good to spend your prime.

Cons

Horrible and worthless HR, extremely political and Bureaucratic, horrible upper level management, no direction or strategy. , emphasizes commercial roles instead of technology / engineering roles. You have a commercial person running an energy company that does not understand how oil and gas are produced. Wont pay their employees the market. Does not focus on technology, engineering, or innovation.

Pay more and provide more opportunity for advancement or more people will leave than they have

There are newer employer reviews for BP