There are newer employer reviews for BP

Don't get on this sinking ship.....

Current Employee - Lead Accountant - Sunbury CoE in Sunbury, England (UK)
Current Employee - Lead Accountant - Sunbury CoE in Sunbury, England (UK)

I have been working at BP

Pros

A huge company with global prescence, a nice working enviroment where you can quickly find your comfort zone and work your way around the company - doing lots of meaningless jobs with fancy job titles. Still a few expat roles out there, where the money and benefits are excellent.

Cons

Small fish in a big pond - very uncommercial management team, constant change, underperforming, low pay, rapidly reducing total reward package (just got rid of c-days etc)
At the moment they are on a real cost-cutting process, which has dramtically reduced the amount of international travel opportuninties. Senior management have been around to long and lost touch with the quickly changing oil&gas environment

Advice to Management

Bring in some external senior management - who can make real decision with business acumen backing

reviews filtered by

A great place to work but I'm not counting on it being around long enough to claim my final salary pension!

Current Employee - Geologist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Geologist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BP

Pros

You are guaranteed to meet great people with great ideas and be exposed to some fantastic technical challenges. The salary package, though certainly not world beating, is satisfactory and the final pension scheme remains one of the best.
    BP has a rather informal feel, which makes the office environments pleasant and relaxed places to be.

Cons

BP are a big company which still acts like a small one. Frequent shifts in "strategy" to satisfy the analyst's short term demands have inevitable long term consequences and we continue to feel the pain of past mistakes on investment, access and staffing. Let all the BS 'wash over you' and you'll be fine .... expect to be buoyed by insightful and innovative corporate decision making or expect to see your share options go through the roof and you'll be disappointed. The big question is; will we survive in our current form?

Advice to Management

Decide what you should always do and do it. Decide what you should never do and never do it. If you say you are going to make big changes, actually make them. Recognize that most of the business can't react on an hourly basis to the whims of the financial market.

2. Having to reapply for your job each year because management want to change something

Current Employee - Accounts Analyst in Sunbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Accounts Analyst in Sunbury, England (UK)

I have been working at BP

Pros

The shares and bonus you get. Also the compressed working week they do but stopping in Jan as they are making cut backs but can still afford to sponser London 2012 which is going to cost them about £40M. The xmas parties were always good but sure we probably wont be getting one of these either this year.

Cons

Having to reapply for your job each year because management want to change something and then you end up with the same job anyway. Total waste of time. The air con in the office doesn't work. the food in the canteen is gross. My manager has no people skills at all.

Advice to Management

None at all. Only time we hear from senior management is when they're re-organising the structure yet again

There are newer employer reviews for BP