BT

www.btplc.com

Company has lost the plot

Former Employee - Field Engineer  in  Coventry, England (UK)
Former Employee - Field Engineer in Coventry, England (UK)

Pros

I got a good amount of training, and working there does look good on a CV

Cons

Where do I start, common sense has completely gone out of the window in the past 3-4 years, so many things in the way of getting the job done - paperwork, stats and bureaucracy are far more important. Moving on to another job internally isn't as easy as it sounds, your manager can easily put a stop to that if he doesn't like you. And then you've raised your head above the parapet and the bullying starts. Work life balance, you would think a big company like this would support you and care, but instead you are expected to work all hours at little to no notice, and no sort of thanks is ever given. No chance of getting annual leave over summer, christmas, etc - its a struggle enough to even get a full week off. I enjoyed the job I did, the people I worked with, but the crap that came with the job was not worth it. This company had me off with stress twice and I'm only in my early 20s, so beware.

Sack all of HR, the stupid un-needed layers of management, and try and focus on THE JOB instead of bullying staff out of the door

Other reviews for BT

Good training

Pros

BT trained their staff very well in a variety of different skills from project mgt to process improvement.

Cons

The biggest con of working in BT is the bureaucracy, it can take weeks to get something approved and requires a number of forms

None

Rewarding and all-round good employer

Former Employee - Principal Consultant  in  City of London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Principal Consultant in City of London, England (UK)

Pros

Tries to do the best for it's people and ensure people are in the right roles through appropriate learning and development. Very good employee communications. Starting to be more adventurous in it's concept to marketing - and getting into TV.

Cons

Difficult to change 'job for life' culture amongst older employees and doesn't fulfill promise or exploit potential of it's graduates as well as it could. It's like five or six companies under one banner, each with their own culture and approach.

Needs to acccelerate reduction in employees, perhaps offering more packages. Too many people in limbo (doing the work of two or three people) who are suffering stress due to workload or uncertainty.

There are newer employer reviews for BT.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!