BT

www.btplc.com
  www.btplc.com
There are newer employer reviews for BT

Great learning working in BT

Current Employee - Problem and Capacity Management in Hortolândia (Brazil)
Current Employee - Problem and Capacity Management in Hortolândia (Brazil)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

nice environment, nice benefits, excellent life balance.

Cons

Courses, training and proof test are no longer approved.

Opportunities must be given not only the people who are longer in the company, since the ability not to be measured by labor time, but by competence.

374 Other Employee Reviews for BT (View Most Recent)

Frustrating and stressful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There's reasonable job security, and I worked with some decent people. You get free broadband. There is the possibility to learn a lot about telecommunications if you are in the right role. I had a good work-life balance, though I know others who didn't.

Cons

BT absolutely 'misled' me regarding what the job entailed, meaning I was left doing a job in which I wasn't interested and which didn't offer the development that I had been promised. Managers seemed to treat everyone as a numbered resource first and a person second, so felt they were completely within their rights to do so. Most of these managers seemed like decent people who were just used to the company working that way. I know other ex-BT employees who went through the same experience.

I know far too many people off work with stress, or just managing to cope with it. There seem to be several reasons for this including over-work and not being listened to. One colleague was working weekends to keep up with the workload, and was also asked on more than one occasion to do work while on leave.

BT is a very bureaucratic organisation with an enormous middle-management layer. It is also a technology company run by non-technical retail managers with little feel for technology, meaning that promising projects just peter out; there was a very large cut in the research budget/ department after one of the commercial arms made a large loss.

There is quite a significant "personality culture", meaning that who you know and how much you swagger seem to have more of an impact on progression than your ability to add value for the customer.

Stop assuming that everything is best practice just because BT does it that way. When you say you want people to challenge, actually mean it.

Not happy as most in BT India

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Better than average salary.
    - Work from home facility.
    - BT has a good finical sheet, company is doing good money wise.

Cons

Well there are too many, let's stick with top ones
    - First, you will not be part of BT, you will be like just another vendor, you will be treated like that, you will work like that, you are not more important, you are not less important too.
    - BT need to drop 2 or 3 vendor to hire you, so they will ask you to work like that.
    - Most are hired from vendors(Infy, TechM, Virtusa), work culture is like any other service compony.
    - You need to work with vendors, most of the day, need to visit there offices.

- no one listen, so no advantages in saying something.

There are newer employer reviews for BT