Soul crushing.

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager
Former Employee - Assistant General Manager

I worked at BUCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Upon initial hire you feel like you are being well trained, with average pay, with good benefits. Some stores are excellent and professional, unfortunately I was not at one of them.

Cons

Culture revolves around high turnover at all in-store positions.

I was hired the same month as a member of the opposite sex, for the exact same position, by the same person, for a different location. The other hire was completely unprofessional and had no management experience. They were mouthy about their compensation, so I found out that it was several thousand more than my own.

Completely inept boss barely worked 30 hours per week and did none of what was expected of him. While his staff was expected to work 12+ hour days each day they worked, and to cover all of his expected tasks. (Scheduling, staff management, inventory, finance reporting.) Higher up management knew of this and brushed it off.

No consistency with scheduling and planning. Since there was so much turnover, long term employees always had to work even when they did not want to. Most of the time hiring was happening for all positions, including top store management. No support from upper management to better manage the store.

Working there was a life changing experience. My faith in the good of others was shot. I now know how companies like this approach ethical issues and I am disgusted by them.

If you send new hire management through months of ethics training, perhaps they should not be completely dismissed when reporting several acts of misconduct amongst staff. I found out later that some acts were never documented or reported to corporate.

Other Reviews for BUCA

Friendly place to work - not much room to grow.

I have been working at BUCA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic food!
    Staff and management in store all work together.
    OK benefits - health insurance is decent for managers; different for part-time staff.

Cons

Corporate doesn't ask those in the real-world situations to evaluate, and makes changes anyway. Cannot negotiate PTO days in considering a position with the company - "take what we offer" is the only option.

Check with those in the restaurants if things are working or not before making drastic changes.

Cheap company with inept management

Current Employee - Host
    Current Employee - Host

I have been working at BUCA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free soft drinks (only from tiny cups though, God forbid an employee should have a perk)

Cons

Insane corporate structure, scatterbrained management that completely disregards employees' scheduling needs, no chance of advancement (especially for women), no break whatsoever when I worked for 11 hours on a major holiday, lack of hours, sexual harassment, terrible training program, employees get a 50 percent discount on food the days they work, but you are not allowed to take the leftovers home

There are newer employer reviews for BUCA.

Worked for BUCA? Contribute to the Community!