There are newer employer reviews for Babies "R" Us

Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst

Current Employee - Furniture Supervisor
Current Employee - Furniture Supervisor

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my particular store, community between employees is great. Running the furniture department isn't a particularly difficult position either, so its not an overly taxing job. It takes focus and awareness of your product and how to best utilize the lousy technology provided, but its not terribly difficult to master.

Cons

Technology is dramatically behind. There are huge gaps in getting help to fix problems (IT issues, lapses in the company giving a crap about their customer, etc). You end up being stared down by an irate customer on a regular basis because there are simply no answers and no one above store-level will help or can find answers for you. A large majority of your time is spent doing things other than what your department requires - think; spending large portions of your day on a register or covering another area because staffing is so thin. Budgets get cut CONSTANTLY. Do not expect to get regular hours if you are not hired into a full time position.

Pay your supervisors appropriately. They don't make real wages. What happens when minimum goes up? The majority of your supervisors will only be making $2 an hour more than a part timer. UPDATE TECHNOLOGY, period. Too often are supervisors pulled in 1000 different directions - give them working technology, people to work in their department, and stop playing games with them. If a supervisor has spent their entire week emailing, calling and working within their department on issues that the store manager, district manager and numerous other people have not made any effort to help resolve, do not come in and pick apart the fact that a dresser was not dusted or a peg was not filled or a remedy ticket was not filed because some moron didn't send product. There is nothing we can do about it and just as likely, even if we DID have time to worry about such nonsense, there would still be no answers or resolution. Its the story of a supervisor's life. Stop the top-down berating. Happy employees = happy customers = more profits. Pissed off employees = pissed off customers = less profits. Pretty simple equation that TRU/BRU has yet to master.

55 Other Employee Reviews for Babies "R" Us (View Most Recent)

Just Say No

Former Employee - Department Supervisor  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Babies "R" Us full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Social environment, able to work on your own or with peers so it can be fun to make it what you want. If you aren't looking for a job that begins at 8am everyday-this is retail so your schedule changes all the time.

Cons

Obviously depending on location, staff, managers, etc: Inconsistent schedule that changes on a dime, the poorest training I've ever witnessed in my life (sink or swim mentality), micro-managing of the worst kind. My store was actually worse than high school with all of the rumors and childish banter.

Know what is going on in your stores, actually listen to the people who work in them everyday. Before you promote someone to asst. manager, manager, district manager, RHRM, please do your homework...some of these people have no credentials other than they have worked with the company a long time...this doesn't mean they actually know anything or actually do their job effectively.

Overworked, underpaid and cheated!!!

Former Employee - Cashier/Back of House  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Cashier/Back of House in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Babies "R" Us

Pros

None. Pay doesn't reflect work done. I worked there at a time that the minimum wage of 8.25 was to go into effect. So what they did to avoid paying for the minimum wage increase and giving us a raise at the same time was to give everyone's raise early. Like two months early. This way they don't have to pay both a raise and a minimum wage hike. So all in all everyone that that got a so called raise didn't. Does that sound like a company you'd want to work for?

Cons

Spoiler alert!!! They will tell you that they will get you to full time hours but they lie. Its only a part time job. After working there for some time I asked some of the employees about what I was told. They told me it was all a lie and that nobody but managers will get full time. Being a bad time for looking for a new job I was forced to stay. They will keep your hours under 33 to keep from paying any kind of benefits. Don't give them the time or the elbow grease! It's not worth your time!! Wish I could get mine back! For a company so big and with so many financial gains it's a shame to see them treat employees like that!! They should be ashamed to take home big dividends and watch as their employees struggle to pay any kind of bills. If customers found out how bad you treat your employees they might not shop there.

Spread the wealth, be truthful and don't cheat your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Babies "R" Us

Worked for Babies "R" Us? Contribute to the Community!