Bacara Resort & Spa

There are newer employer reviews for Bacara Resort & Spa

Great college job

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Goleta, CA
Former Employee - Sales Agent in Goleta, CA

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was one of my favorite jobs I've had. I worked there all through out my college years. They were very flexible with working with my school schedule. The training is very thourough and managers are happy to coach you through difficult situations. While working there I tried out three ditfferent positions and enjoyed them all: Honor Bar, In Room Dining Sales Agent and I also worked in Banquets. Banquets was fun but very long hours. But once the paycheck came around it was all worth it. Some of the great perks of working at Bacara are: Celebrity sightings, free meals at the cafeteria, friendly staff, good pay, opportunity to move up/change positions, easy to make friends, fun place to work =D

Cons

Horribly ugly uniforms, have to work weekends, early morning shifts, and holidays, dealing with very difficult demanding guests

11 Other Employee Reviews for Bacara Resort & Spa (View Most Recent)

Awesome people that u can become lifelong friends with..but the work environment/culture on the property is stressful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

This is a good place to get some valuable experience in the hospitality industry if you didnt get it elsewhere. HR seems to give most candidates a chance to be a part of the "BACARA" experience unless you are a complete screw up. They will provide you with uniforms, free meal, and the rare opportunity to check out the ranch and other amenities if you are on good terms with management. You will find alot of the staff to be UCSB undergrads sprinkled in with more seasoned professionals that probably came from Wyndham-Marriott or other large corporations seeking the independent hotel job. Also dont forget those in the typical housekeeping or banquets positions. One of the reasons I took a job here was because they also seem to pay slightly higher than other places that I had worked. Yes the property does sit next to the pacific ocean and is really beautiful despite vigorous walking you will do to get around the resort.

Cons

For an independent owned resort they make it feel very corporate in a not so good way. Eventually you begin to find out that they dont take paid time off requests very highly. They make it known that your life revolves around this resort even when you leave to go home. I knew many people that got "brainwashed" into the whole scam about the resort being the greatest thing that has ever been built. It is not unheard of to be speaking to someone that works for the property and listen to the way they come off since it is a way that is ingrained in them. I should know because I used to the same thing! The executive management team is comprised of various top level directors in different departments and they all share duties in managing the resort. Essentially, too many people makes it too top heavy! You wil also find that security for the resort to be overly intimidating. Security will go out of their way to make people visiting the beach near the hotel a pain in the rear end. Bacara also has a huge hang up with its image and reputation and because of this it is often common that things will be extremely hush hush with regard to the business of the resort. Many local residents are curious about the place and unfortunately the resort management and owners do the community a disservice by staying clouded in mystery. Does the word "militant" come to mind? You show up late for your shift and say one word and I can guarantee you that by the time you arrive to the property security and managers will be standing there to discipline you! Another thing that will come as a surprise is when you as an employee start making waves to get promoted or move into another department. All of a sudden your plans for transferring into the marketing/sales dept. is derailed because your managers out of the clear blue sky bring up that you have an infraction on your record stemming from a failed guest transaction that occured 8 months prior! Wait a second....as far as you remember they never wrote you up for an issue involving a guest 8 months ago? But then you also discover that the politics of getting the transfer also has to do with your home department not willing to let you go for whatever reasons? Welcome to the nonsense of working for this place!!!

None, I believe that I have stated enough information already!

Pastry Cook

Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Pastry Cook in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

The people are great and they have a sense of family here. There are new banquets and parties that keep things exciting also.

Cons

They are experiencing a slow time so they are cutting back peoples hours a lot. Which is putting more work on to each employer.

I would love to see new employees have a longer training program with in the dept. The welcoming and group orientation was great.

There are newer employer reviews for Bacara Resort & Spa