There are newer employer reviews for Backcountry.com

Great company with passionate people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I have been working at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exciting challenges for both seasoned vets and those new to their career. Colleagues are passionate about their role and some outdoor sport. Powder mornings are great, Payday BBQ's allow you to meet people in other groups that you may not have met before. The discount is awesome! I've been here a year and I haven't met a "jerk" yet.

Cons

The company is in a stage where it is defining itself. Its past the start up phase but not yet a "big boy". It struggles to grow and add processes while keeping the fun start-up like culture. The level of accountability is higher than in previous years leading to many who worked here just for the discount to depart.

Advice to Management

Improve communication by explaining the why behind a decision. Be transparent whether the news is good or bad. Ditch the internal blogs and directly email the company.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Seasonal Customer Service (West Valley)

Former Employee - Gear Head/Customer Service - Seasonal in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Gear Head/Customer Service - Seasonal in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome, laid back atmosphere. Friendly, helpful supervisors. Coworkers who actually hung out together after work.

Cons

Training was awful. The offline server they use to train on is so slow it actually impeded the trainer from being able to accurately do her job. Training was not organized well.

In my opinion the seasonal reduction was handled poorly, those individuals being laid off should be notified at least 2 weeks in advance so they can arrange for other employment. Also, the date and time of notification should be made available more in advance, and the email should be sent after working hours... The days leading up to the seasonal reductions was very stressful for everyone in the office. Full disclosure: I was not laid off but a couple friends were.

Advice to Management

Upgrade the systems!!!!! Interchange SUCKS! It's heavily out-dated and the workflow is so awful that it often impedes my ability to do my job effectively. Use a modern processing system that allows the CSR reps to view a caller/chatter's live shopping cart. I've worked for other retail institutions that had this and it would save hundreds of hours a year.

A company divided

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome employee discount, pay is decent to start

Cons

There is a major rift between the warehouse "blue collar" workers and the customer service/IT "white collar" workers, at least, that's how it was when I worked there from '06-'07. Hopefully things have changed.
    Also, the evaluation system used for warehouse employee raises is biased and ridiculous (you can never "exceed expectations" according to management, even if you really did that quarter and have the numbers to prove it). It was a 12 cent raise back then, I think, per quarter, assuming you "did good".

Advice to Management

Just because some of your workers don't have an education beyond 12th grade, doesn't mean you get to treat all of them like children. Wake up.