Great company with a great future

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst  in  Park City, UT
Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of freedom to make decisions and share ideas.
Strong management team - good, smart people.
Smart co-workers who are passionate about ecommerce and the bike and outdoor industries.
Management is upgrading people where it needs to be done.

Cons

Lots going on - hard to get it all done.
Confusing organization for new employees.
Turnover causes some disruption.

Keep focused and making the hard decisions. Remember to focus on the culture.

Other Reviews for Backcountry.com

Truth is all here on Glassdoor - the good & the bad

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Park City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Park City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Most employees, below the VPs and Execs, truly use the gear they sell. There are a lot of great athletes getting after it, and no shortage of people to challenge you in the outdoors.
    - Great brand in the Outdoor world. Customers are proud to show their Goat stickers.
    - Park City office right near the trails and ski resorts.
    - The two newest executive team members are rockstars - it's great to see people of that calibre join the tribe.
    - When you work there, the Kool Aid makes you feel cool.

Cons

- Company deliberately pays low to medium. Retail margins simply do not support more.
    - Performance related compensation only for the elite few. Also promotion is more based on political prowess and being in with the obvious click, rather than results or ability.
    - Aside from the two new starters this year, the rest of the Exec team is comprised of C players. Lacking both hard skills and management ability, they are at Backcountry to pad their resumes.
    - The CEO is hard charging and can be inspirational, but also shoots from the hip and is too reactionary. For example the other reviews mention her counting staff at 5.30pm - those stories are completely true, though far from a daily occurrence.
    - Turnover is very high. Leadership need to understand this better.

Keep hiring A players, and weed out your C players.

Stop writing positive reviews on Glassdoor to try and improve recruiting. Instead fix the root issues.

Unless you like feeling worthless, look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Warehouse  in  West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Warehouse in West Valley City, UT

I worked at Backcountry.com full-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount on cool gear.
    You can make a lot of good friends with similar interests.

Cons

Where to start.... I'm pretty dang sure that every 'joining the herd' and 5 star review of this company was written by HR or people in positions of power. I worked here for a while and I never met anyone with that kind of attitude towards this place. For most people it was, at best, an easy job to get and to do that doesn't require much brain power and allows a lot of time for skiing or snowboarding (most of the time because promised hours were cut like crazy....). No one I talked to felt like their hard work was ever appreciated, and most people eventually stopped trying (including myself). It's really hard to care about a place and about the money they're making when you work as hard as you can and don't hear anything about it, yet at the same time, the best friends (or girlfriends) of the people in charge are being rewarded for even less. There was often proof of "cheating" to make it seem like these people actually knew what they were doing. Don't plan on a promotion unless you're one of these best friends, even if you deserve it more and they've already promised it to you. Backcountry makes empty promises and takes what they can for themselves. They even have meetings where they "encourage" opinion and idea but punish you if it isn't their opinion or idea. I've never seen so many bullies in my life. Backcountry doesn't take sexual harassment seriously enough for even a slap on the wrist if the accused is a buddy, but will chuck someone in a heart beat for being pointed at for this if they don't like that person. I personally dealt with this once and threatened to get serious before they even started listening to me, and I heard of other similar situations. Treating your employees like mindless robots is bad enough, but to allow such sick behavior as I encountered to continue with no repercussions, is appalling. If you like being treated fairly, being able to pay your bills, and feeling like you have a place to move up, absolutely do not work here.

Rather than focusing on how fast you (or expendable people you don't care about) can do something, focus on how well. That way you won't have to go back and do it several times, wasting a lot more time. I guarantee those little numbers you're so worried about cause a lot more work for you than if you just let people work and do a good job. Treat your employees like they matter to you so that maybe some of them will stay rather than running them all out and having to train new people every week (more wasted time). And maybe let some competent people run things. A company is only as good as the people that move it and I see bad things in this company's future. Oh and no, you shouldn't be "grateful you even have a job" when your job is working here.

There are newer employer reviews for Backcountry.com.

Worked for Backcountry.com? Contribute to the Community!