Bain & Company

bain company review.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay, ok exit opps. name is kind of recognized, mostly in US but little worldwide

Cons

average people, average management. Fake relationships among peers

structure the hiring process

640 Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company (View Most Recent)

Great post-MBA landing spot

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Engaged and energetic people
    - Workable lifestyle
    - Multiple opportunities outside of work

Bain is a great place to work post-MBA. I have colleagues that are younger and engage in multiple additional opportunities including the Bain Band, non-profit work, and recruiting, as well as colleagues who have young children and still find time to balance their case work while spending time with their families. Los Angeles in particular is a smaller office within the North American system and within 3 months you'll definitely know everyone's name (as opposed to just randomly passing them in the hall and awkwardly nodding)

Cons

- High turnover (typical of consulting)
    - May have to spend some time in your car

Like any consulting you may be staffed in a case that involves significant and / or inconvenient travel (but there's always Starwoods) or with a manager whose working style differs from your own. But these apply to the field in general more than Bain and I think the company does a good job of utilizing a regional model to minimize excessive or unnecessary travel and having multiple opportunities for upward feedback including monthly case team surveys that are displayed in the office kitchen to help improve case team dynamics.

Keep doing what you're doing, while prioritizing making sure our case mix stays diverse and our culture stays vibrant.

A challenging, but incredibly rewarding learning experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with smart, driven co-workers and leaders. Exposure to a wide variety of industries and business functions. Opportunity to shape the future of large, influential companies and interface regularly with the leaders of those companies. Developing a superb platform for future career opportunities.

Cons

Long hours and significant travel. Difficulty in "turning it off" at the end of the day - often an expectation to be available late at night and/or on the weekends. Low degree of independence in first few years with the firm - often at the mercy of your direct superior

Continue to try and improve the lifestyle and sustainability of the job for current employees. Continue to be selective in the work we support, walking away from profitable yet low value-add work in order to focus on more strategic, higher-impact projects that differentiates us in the market place and provides a more exciting work environment for our associates

There are newer employer reviews for Bain & Company