Bain & Company

www.bain.com
  www.bain.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bain & Company

Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Extremely well run company where people really care about helping you develop professionally and even personally. The staffing managers are very thoughtful. It's just a great way to learn the best practices for analysis, slide-building, presentation, client engagement, business logic, and working in a team. That being said, it wasn't for me.

Cons

I enjoyed case interviews because that dealt with the high-level strategic thinking of consulting -- the answer of the case. Unfortunately, that's not the work you do as an associate consultant; your role is to execute perfectly. It was hard for me to work long hours or be on call, spending ~30% of my time doing quality control (I'm not a very detail-oriented person). They expect you to feel ownership and responsibility over your work stream, but you don't actually have much ownership (I'd say on my teams they encouraged me to speak up and take a 'first pass' at higher level work, but there were always lots of iterations based on small suggestions at each level).

I was someone sold on social impact -- I heard about a Bain case team helping to found a charter school and was hooked -- and I became really demotivated when I started at Bain and realized that I'm not someone who can force myself to work really hard on projects I'm not passionate about. It's great that Bain encourages so much social impact, but I'd be really upfront with recruits that they should think through whether or not they will feel motivated and happy if they're working in industries they don't care about and doing only the execution work for the first 1-2 years.

641 Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company (View Most Recent)

Amazing people, fantastic learning opportunities, and incredible place to launch a career

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The amazing culture at Bain is truly unique. This culture is driven by the outstanding people who work at Bain. The people are very bright yet humble and approachable. They have a passion for driving results while also having fun. The work is challenging and stretches you everyday; however, Bain provides the support you need to be empowered to be successful.

Cons

The long-hours and travel can prevent Bain from being sustainable long-term; however, this just really depends on individual considering how much Bain works to try and mitigate the lifestyle challenges.

Impeccable Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Executive Assistant
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding people to work with and for! I do not personally have any issues with anyone or the company itself. Bain truly expresses their corporate culture and have stuck by it in my opinion. Always willing to lend a helping hand and very open environment where you can ask anyone whether you have a question or concern.

Cons

For some there may be long hours at times, but you work hard and do your job and the reward is greater than the time put in.

There are newer employer reviews for Bain & Company