Baker Botts

I love Baker Botts.

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baker Botts

Pros

I especially appreciate the quality of work, the people, the flexibility of my working hours, the training, and the attention to professional development. Baker Botts is open with associates about their progress and whether they are on the right track. The firm encourages pro bono and does not limit the number of pro bono hours that count toward billables. There are endless opportunities for professional networking and community involvement. There are also amazing office perks.

Cons

I cannot think of any downsides. Personal initiative is key.

I love my job. I appreciate the opportunities that I have here to become a great lawyer. I also appreciate the formal and informal mentoring available.

27 Other Employee Reviews for Baker Botts (View Most Recent)

Leading Lawyers, Stressed Staff

Current Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Secretary in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Botts

Pros

Well-known company and very high standards. Promotion of the Firm and its attorneys and their accomplishments is unprecedented. Incredible exposure to the legal field. Training program is wonderful.

Cons

In the past ten years, the focus on treating the staff as well as the attorneys has definitely declined. There used to be a huge company picnic every summer that was loads of fun for families and their children. The staff were given surprise treats throughout the years; you'd come in to work and find a CD case with a certificate for a free CD in your inbox, or a huge bar of chocolate that said something like "We appreciate you". Everything seems to be focused on the attorneys and clients now. There is the Prom, a formal party event for the attorneys and their spouses, and private concerts by people like Lyle Lovett for the client appreciation party. The attorney/secretary ratio has gone through the roof. Used to be two, maybe three attorneys to every secretary. Now the usual is five, some even are responsible for six or seven assignments. New accounting systems have secretaries doing more of the billing responsibilities with fewer resources such as floater secretaries or word processors to assist.

What ever happened to the attitude that the staff is important too? Working very long hours and getting minimal, if any, appreciation from the lawyers is distressing. After closing a major deal that had numerous members of the staff here several overnights in a row, the lead lawyer on the deal said that the overtime compensation was all that was required as appreciation. That doesn't leave one with the feeling that they want to give 110% all the time.

Work for a firm with a purpose.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Botts

Pros

The friendly environment and the benefits of working for a large firm. The human resource department always makes it easy to ask questions and talk to them if anything is going on in the workplace that you do not agree with. I think that working for Baker Botts was a great opportunity to learn about the firm and the way human resource departments work.

Cons

The environment and work load can be very busy some days. I think that although you get a great exerience, it may be hard to obtain recommendations from employers that work above you. They are constantly growing and keep busy and do not commit to being a reliable resource for recommendation in the future.

I think they presented themselves in a very official way and made the emloyees feel welcomed.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Botts