There are newer employer reviews for Baker Concrete

Good company with knowledgeable people

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Cincinnati, OH
Former Employee - Project Engineer in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Baker Concrete

Pros

Good compensation while working for a company that does complex concrete projects around the country.

Cons

The field staff was very old fashioned and set in their way. There was never any thinking about how to perform tasks more efficiently. It was this is the method that has worked for me for 20 years so let's keep doing it.

Advice to Management

I understand it's the construction business and a lot of employees have a certain attitude about their experience and knowledge. Remember that it's not where you have been but where you are going. Also if you want to be the best at anything you have to lead by example.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The Best Concrete Contractor to work for, or have do work for you.

Current Employee - Decline to State in Monroe, OH
    Current Employee - Decline to State in Monroe, OH

I have been working at Baker Concrete

Pros

We are a well-respected industry leader. Our founder, Dan Baker, is still very involved and seems to sincerely care about the well-being of his employees. We are the largest concrete contractor in the country and construct a vary wide range of project types. Some of those types, such as football stadiums, high-rises, LNG tanks, etc., can be very technically challenging, pride-inducing, and rewarding.

Cons

Few, and it would really depend on the individual as to what they were. In some ways, the company maintains out-dated, rather than modern close-to-cutting-edge, practices. I WOULD like to see our harrassment policy changed to go beyond what is strictly defined by the law as harrassment so as to define homosexuals as also being "protected" just like women, minorites, and religions are. And no, I am not gay.

Advice to Management

Not really sure on this one....

Good if you're a Good Ole' Boy

Former Employee - Estimator
    Former Employee - Estimator

I worked at Baker Concrete

Pros

Well, they have a pretty good reputation with clients in most parts of the country. And their size means that you may have the chance to work on some larger, more unique types of projects.

Cons

Overall, a company run in the mindset of the 1970's. And no, not all construction companies are naturally that way. If you're the right gender, have the right background, and the right ethical/political/cultural sensibilities, you can do well. If you're not that and do well at blending into the background, you'll do OK. If you're not the right fit, and not a great wallflower, then regardless of your loyalty, energy, intelligence, abilities or work ethic, you probably won't be very satisfied.

Advice to Management

What has worked fairly well for the past few decades is rotting away from the inside. You need to change your employee environment if you want to remain competitive in the future. The young bucks of today are NOT like the young bucks of yesteryear. And if you can't keep them and develop them into your new leadership, you will, in a word, fail. Size isn't everything boys.