There are newer employer reviews for Baker Concrete

The Best Concrete Contractor to work for, or have do work for you.

Current Employee - Decline to State in Monroe, OH
Current Employee - Decline to State in Monroe, OH

Pros

We are a well-respected industry leader. Our founder, Dan Baker, is still very involved and seems to sincerely care about the well-being of his employees. We are the largest concrete contractor in the country and construct a vary wide range of project types. Some of those types, such as football stadiums, high-rises, LNG tanks, etc., can be very technically challenging, pride-inducing, and rewarding.

Cons

Few, and it would really depend on the individual as to what they were. In some ways, the company maintains out-dated, rather than modern close-to-cutting-edge, practices. I WOULD like to see our harrassment policy changed to go beyond what is strictly defined by the law as harrassment so as to define homosexuals as also being "protected" just like women, minorites, and religions are. And no, I am not gay.

Advice to Management

Not really sure on this one....

Other Employee Reviews for Baker Concrete

Good if you're a Good Ole' Boy

Former Employee - Estimator
    Former Employee - Estimator

Pros

Well, they have a pretty good reputation with clients in most parts of the country. And their size means that you may have the chance to work on some larger, more unique types of projects.

Cons

Overall, a company run in the mindset of the 1970's. And no, not all construction companies are naturally that way. If you're the right gender, have the right background, and the right ethical/political/cultural sensibilities, you can do well. If you're not that and do well at blending into the background, you'll do OK. If you're not the right fit, and not a great wallflower, then regardless of your loyalty, energy, intelligence, abilities or work ethic, you probably won't be very satisfied.

Advice to Management

What has worked fairly well for the past few decades is rotting away from the inside. You need to change your employee environment if you want to remain competitive in the future. The young bucks of today are NOT like the young bucks of yesteryear. And if you can't keep them and develop them into your new leadership, you will, in a word, fail. Size isn't everything boys.

2. Hse

I have been working at Baker Concrete full-time

Pros

It's a great place to learn the skills needed to excel in your career. They will teach you the skills you need to do your job.

Cons

There is really no room for advancement. All the upper management have been with the company 20 plus years.