Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

www.bakerrisk.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

Great work-life balance, but chances of getting trapped in a niche field

Current Employee - Consultant
Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants

Pros

The compensation slightly better than industry average but the benefits package is extremely good with dollar to dollar matching for 401(k). Plus, the work pressure is minimal and lot of flexibility in working. Its a great place to achieve perfect work-life balance. The seniors are supportive and intelligent. The new recruits are made to feel at home and treated fairly. But the quality of work offered to summer interns, especially undergrads, is clerical to say the least. The management is smart and professional. Overall, if you want peace of mind and are happy to stay in the same domain, with moderately challenging work, BakerRisk is the place.

Cons

The main disadvantage is getting trapped in a niche field in the long run. The longer one stays at BakerRisk, switching to different domain becomes more difficult.
The job gets repetitive after some time, unless you are promoted. The biggest disadvantage could be living in San Antonio, but this is the office that does the best work. The work done at Houston office at junior levels doesn't involve much of skills. Remote and international offices exist on paper and barely contribute in terms of work and revenue.

reviews filtered by

It has been a good fit for me.

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work and pace. Staff are smart and driven. Interesting projects and the people I work with seem to like their jobs and the work. Very well respected technically and that shows in customer relationships and the work you get to do.

Cons

Smallish company and they are trying to handle some areas like training more consistently. You have to be willing to identify your path of interest and then initiate discussion and action to get there. The plus side is I have experienced a lot of flexibility once I helped define the direction I was interested in.

Tell us more about how the company is doing.

Not great, but not terrible

Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project II Consultant/Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

1. They treat employees pretty well...in Houston.
    2. In the past the bonus has been pretty good, but they're working on winding that down and bumping up salaries a bit, which I view as a good thing.
    3. The salaries are now becoming decent.

Cons

1. Because it's such a small company, there's no room for advancement. What you get hired to do, you'll do until you leave.
    2. Senior management tends to make poor business decisions, like opening offices in locations that are ridiculous.
    3. Senior management is waaaaay too "hush, hush" about everything. For such a small company there is a surprising lack of transparency.
    4. Benefits seem to be getting slashed.

Close your remote offices. And stop being needlessly secretive about everything.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Engineering and Risk Consultants