There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

IT is so tightly centralized that it is counterproductive.

Current Employee - MWD Operator
Current Employee - MWD Operator

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

Its in the energy sector. The pay & benefits are decent.

Cons

In general, uncertainly of continued employment due to energy price fluctuations. Specifically, the only input the supervisor / coordinator gets is from the Lead Tech onsite. Therefore, if you work for a good guy its great, but if you work for a back-stabber you will be the scapegoat for every problem that pops up.

Plenty of press releases at the corporate level but only a trickle of feedback from supervisory management. The field people need a few administrator privileges to fix minor problems without being completely dependent on the IT department. I've utilized the local computer shop to fix hardware problems rather than send it an IT department that requires weeks to fix and return a computer.

It is unclear if senior management understands how lack of voice and data connectivity hampers ability to solve problems in the field.

Advice to Management

Revamp the IT department and make it more user-friendly. SOLV hold times are horrible & some support technicians don't seem to understand software problems. The field people need a few administrator privileges to fix minor problems without being completely dependent on the IT department. I've utilized the local computer shop to fix hardware problems rather than send it an IT department that requires weeks to fix and return a computer.

reviews filtered by
  1. Baker Hughes, an alright place to work.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes

Pros

The People. BHI is full of great people. The technical talent here is second to none. I have met and worked with numerous engineers and scientist who are top notch and enjoyable to work with. I have built friendship, and have found almost everyone enjoyable to work with.

Cons

The pay is marginal at best. They think they can have top notch people and services for marginal costs.

Advice to Management

This is the time to focus on technology and continue to build and strength our technology.

Good Benifts- not so good pay

Former Employee - Senior Completions Engineer in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Completions Engineer in Grand Junction, Mesa, CO

I worked at Baker Hughes

Pros

Good Benifits with stock options, Some bases are better to work at than others.

Cons

Hard to transfer between other baker companies. Good old boys club- you get paid for who you know, not what you know. Baker allows family to work together and boyfriend girlfriend. You have to watch you back at all times. They just went to a 15-6 work week insted of 14 and 7

Advice to Management

Baker needs to be ran like a business not a school yard. The rocky mountains is a horrible place to work. Cold weather, lots of work but you will be exhausted.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes