Excellent Technology, POOR Management

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology. Clearly Baker Hughes has some of the brightest Innovators the E&P Industry has now. BHI is known of their brilliant technology.

Cons

Management (notice I didn't say "Leadership"). Throughout the "Mafia" of Managers (all the way up to the Executive Level), there has a been a great history of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Baker isn't about moving up on merit, it's about who you know and how well you manage up. If you want to get into a management position, at BHI, you have to quickly learn who to stay away from and who to befriend in Management. Baker is last in the Big Four (i.e. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford) because of management, not because of technology. Too often I watched Managers put their personal agendas ahead of the company's best interest in order to meet quarterly results and get their bonus'...at all cost (including firing people to improve their quarterly profits). I've never seen such a poor example of management abusing their power for their own gain as I've seen in other companies. If you're in a leadership role, best advice I can give you is pass on an "opportunity" with BHI...unless of course, you're a political cut-throat that is saavy enough to know how to walk through the mine fields and plant them as well.

Advice to Management

1) Fire yourselves and do the company and stakeholders a favor. Too many unethical, immoral, insensitive managers that don't know the first thing about Leadership. 2) If you think you're too good to fire yourself, read "Good to Great" and assess yourself. If you disagree on any of the qualities that makes a Good-to-Great Leader, FIRE YOURSELF! 3) Implement a 360-Evaluation and tie 50% of your own total target bonus to the results. Then you'll find out if you're a selflish/insensitive manager, or a Company Leader. 4) If "SAFETY" is so important, than why is it NOT a "CORE VALUE"? Answer: "Like "ethics", it's embedded in one of the Core Values. Safety and ethics costs money, so why spend it until it's tied to profits and bonus.

Other Employee Reviews for Baker Hughes

Senior Internal Audit

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to travel and exposure to other people and countries. The department allows people from internal departments to rotate in and gain worldwide experience. There are very few pros that are rememberable.

Cons

Narrow minded management; favorites being given the choice locations consistently. Perks of traveling and losing time with home have been striped away and only enjoyed by choice management players. Your work skill level is not appreciated and you are pressured to make exceptiosn go away.

Advice to Management

Get out in the field to understand the obstacles and challenges before adding to our work load with more procedures. Expand opportunities to grow and learn or you will continue to have horrible turnover.

Big company headed in the right direction, but local problems persist

Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND
    Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits Strong Compensation Good facilities and equipment

Cons

Local and Product-Line Specific Gaps in HSE Culture Chaos from Reorganization Ongoing

Advice to Management

All of your new EOCs are woefully incomplete. Overhaul them again. Hold middle managers to HSE and Integrity standards. Support your HSE Team. They are strong and dedicated, but HR does not support actions. Push your HR reps to investigate completely. Don't just take the word of the senior manager in any situation.