Excellent Technology, POOR Management

Former Employee - Team Leader  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Technology. Clearly Baker Hughes has some of the brightest Innovators the E&P Industry has now. BHI is known of their brilliant technology.

Cons

Management (notice I didn't say "Leadership"). Throughout the "Mafia" of Managers (all the way up to the Executive Level), there has a been a great history of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Baker isn't about moving up on merit, it's about who you know and how well you manage up. If you want to get into a management position, at BHI, you have to quickly learn who to stay away from and who to befriend in Management. Baker is last in the Big Four (i.e. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford) because of management, not because of technology. Too often I watched Managers put their personal agendas ahead of the company's best interest in order to meet quarterly results and get their bonus'...at all cost (including firing people to improve their quarterly profits). I've never seen such a poor example of management abusing their power for their own gain as I've seen in other companies. If you're in a leadership role, best advice I can give you is pass on an "opportunity" with BHI...unless of course, you're a political cut-throat that is saavy enough to know how to walk through the mine fields and plant them as well.

1) Fire yourselves and do the company and stakeholders a favor. Too many unethical, immoral, insensitive managers that don't know the first thing about Leadership.
2) If you think you're too good to fire yourself, read "Good to Great" and assess yourself. If you disagree on any of the qualities that makes a Good-to-Great Leader, FIRE YOURSELF!
3) Implement a 360-Evaluation and tie 50% of your own total target bonus to the results. Then you'll find out if you're a selflish/insensitive manager, or a Company Leader.
4) If "SAFETY" is so important, than why is it NOT a "CORE VALUE"? Answer: "Like "ethics", it's embedded in one of the Core Values. Safety and ethics costs money, so why spend it until it's tied to profits and bonus.

Other Reviews for Baker Hughes

Senior Internal Audit

Current Employee - Senior Auditor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunity to travel and exposure to other people and countries. The department allows people from internal departments to rotate in and gain worldwide experience. There are very few pros that are rememberable.

Cons

Narrow minded management; favorites being given the choice locations consistently. Perks of traveling and losing time with home have been striped away and only enjoyed by choice management players. Your work skill level is not appreciated and you are pressured to make exceptiosn go away.

Get out in the field to understand the obstacles and challenges before adding to our work load with more procedures. Expand opportunities to grow and learn or you will continue to have horrible turnover.

Poor IT Management !!! - Only Out For Themselves!

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having a job in a bad economy. Outside of that, There are no good reasons to work in Baker Hughes IT right now.

Cons

IT Management from lower line managers to Directors are only interested in looking good to Vice Presidents and the next layer of the organizational structure so they can advance their careers. Upper Management is being told what sounds good not what is really going on. There are so many problems from full time employees being over worked to products being deployed with many issues just so a project deadline is met and someone can reap the "reward" of project completion. Managers are allowing flawed product deployment. They are turning their head and saying "I don't know" so there is no ownership of the problem.

Unrealistic guidelines
    Unrealistic project deadlines
    Layoffs
    Hiring cheap labor in Kuala Lumpur
    Outsourcing jobs to India
    Poor IT Support
    No longer a good organization to work for!

Pay attention to employee surveys! You will more than likely find out what is going on in your IT organization.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!