Baker Hughes
www.bakerhughes.com Houston, TX 5000+ Employees

Excellent Technology, POOR Management

Team Leader (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsTechnology. Clearly Baker Hughes has some of the brightest Innovators the E&P Industry has now. BHI is known of their brilliant technology.

ConsManagement (notice I didn't say "Leadership"). Throughout the "Mafia" of Managers (all the way up to the Executive Level), there has a been a great history of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Baker isn't about moving up on merit, it's about who you know and how well you manage up. If you want to get into a management position, at BHI, you have to quickly learn who to stay away from and who to befriend in Management. Baker is last in the Big Four (i.e. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford) because of management, not because of technology. Too often I watched Managers put their personal agendas ahead of the company's best interest in order to meet quarterly results and get their bonus'...at all cost (including firing people to improve their quarterly profits). I've never seen such a poor example of management abusing their power for their own gain as I've seen in other companies. If you're in a leadership role, best advice I can give you is pass on an "opportunity" with BHI...unless of course, you're a political cut-throat that is saavy enough to know how to walk through the mine fields and plant them as well.

Advice to Senior Management1) Fire yourselves and do the company and stakeholders a favor. Too many unethical, immoral, insensitive managers that don't know the first thing about Leadership.
2) If you think you're too good to fire yourself, read "Good to Great" and assess yourself. If you disagree on any of the qualities that makes a Good-to-Great Leader, FIRE YOURSELF!
3) Implement a 360-Evaluation and tie 50% of your own total target bonus to the results. Then you'll find out if you're a selflish/insensitive manager, or a Company Leader.
4) If "SAFETY" is so important, than why is it NOT a "CORE VALUE"? Answer: "Like "ethics", it's embedded in one of the Core Values. Safety and ethics costs money, so why spend it until it's tied to profits and bonus.

Poor IT Management !!! - Only Out For Themselves!

IT Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: Having a job in a bad economy. Outside of that, There… Cons: IT Management from lower line managers to Directors are only interested in looking good to Vice Presidents and the next layer of the organizational structure… Advice to Senior Management: Pay attention to employee surveys! You will more than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Poor leadership with no focus on employees

Manager (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros: Pay Training is a great Travel Easy interview process Flexibility Location Cons: Middle management threatened by the young, educated and experienced No career development Friends promoting friends No empathy for… Advice to Senior Management: Train managers on how to develop and retain talent No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Baker Hughes.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baker Hughes CEO Martin Craighead. All reviews posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees.