Baker Hughes

www.bakerhughes.com
  www.bakerhughes.com
There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes is a great company to work for; really good culture, opportunities, and management.

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer Intern in Claremore, OK
Current Employee - Reliability Engineer Intern in Claremore, OK

I have been working at Baker Hughes as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The company is on the up-and-up, is under good management, has a great culture, and cares about its employees. My internship paid well, and the company is very good about hiring its interns back. I would describe the culture as being very diverse, relaxed, but also driven to do as well as possible. Baker Hughes seems to hire quality people with good interpersonal skills, so the work environment is fun.

Cons

In my 2 month internship, I didn't find any cons.

710 Other Employee Reviews for Baker Hughes (View Most Recent)

Excellent Technology, POOR Management

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Technology. Clearly Baker Hughes has some of the brightest Innovators the E&P Industry has now. BHI is known of their brilliant technology.

Cons

Management (notice I didn't say "Leadership"). Throughout the "Mafia" of Managers (all the way up to the Executive Level), there has a been a great history of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Baker isn't about moving up on merit, it's about who you know and how well you manage up. If you want to get into a management position, at BHI, you have to quickly learn who to stay away from and who to befriend in Management. Baker is last in the Big Four (i.e. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford) because of management, not because of technology. Too often I watched Managers put their personal agendas ahead of the company's best interest in order to meet quarterly results and get their bonus'...at all cost (including firing people to improve their quarterly profits). I've never seen such a poor example of management abusing their power for their own gain as I've seen in other companies. If you're in a leadership role, best advice I can give you is pass on an "opportunity" with BHI...unless of course, you're a political cut-throat that is saavy enough to know how to walk through the mine fields and plant them as well.

1) Fire yourselves and do the company and stakeholders a favor. Too many unethical, immoral, insensitive managers that don't know the first thing about Leadership.
    2) If you think you're too good to fire yourself, read "Good to Great" and assess yourself. If you disagree on any of the qualities that makes a Good-to-Great Leader, FIRE YOURSELF!
    3) Implement a 360-Evaluation and tie 50% of your own total target bonus to the results. Then you'll find out if you're a selflish/insensitive manager, or a Company Leader.
    4) If "SAFETY" is so important, than why is it NOT a "CORE VALUE"? Answer: "Like "ethics", it's embedded in one of the Core Values. Safety and ethics costs money, so why spend it until it's tied to profits and bonus.

Senior Internal Audit

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunity to travel and exposure to other people and countries. The department allows people from internal departments to rotate in and gain worldwide experience. There are very few pros that are rememberable.

Cons

Narrow minded management; favorites being given the choice locations consistently. Perks of traveling and losing time with home have been striped away and only enjoyed by choice management players. Your work skill level is not appreciated and you are pressured to make exceptiosn go away.

Get out in the field to understand the obstacles and challenges before adding to our work load with more procedures. Expand opportunities to grow and learn or you will continue to have horrible turnover.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes