Baker Hughes

www.bakerhughes.com
There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

A nice company to work for

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Russia)
Current Employee - Field Engineer in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Russia)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A nice company to work for

Cons

HR is taking forever to do something

733 Other Employee Reviews for Baker Hughes (View Most Recent)

Confused Leadership and bloated HR organization

Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Irbid (Jordan)
    Current Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Irbid (Jordan)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

International company, diversity, leading edge technology, nice facility in Dubai HQ, cafeteria on sight, prayer rooms, nursing room for mothers, state of art training center, multicultural environment

Cons

Leadership changes its mind every couple of years and they restructure the entire organization. There is no 'change management' per se. They move the chips and let them land however they land. No consideration for impact on employees lives. The HR organization is extremely bloated with HR 'divas' earning way more than their Operations and Field counterparts yet they are a heavy cost and not revenue generating. Career advancement is based on who you know and the old boys club as opposed to real transparent competency based development on your own merit.

Shed the fat in the middle, talk to your people, listen to the people on the ground.

Baker Hughes Logging Geologist, Aberdeen

Current Employee - Logging Geologist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Logging Geologist in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pays better than any other mud logging company.
    Very large company with benefits such as health care + pension contributions.
    On the whole my co workers are decent people who help out when you are new and easy to get along with a work with.
    Logistics have been kind to me and allowed me to have time off for short notice events, even if i haven't declared it as a holiday. However I know others have not been do lucky.

Cons

Some people clearly are not competent and have risen to higher and more responsible jobs on time at the company alone.
    Morale is generally low, especially with the more experienced data engineers.
    Time on and off is not 2 weeks, there is no structure to time off. It is as and when. Management expect you to sit by your phone and wait for the call. You get 33 days a year holiday and even that can be touched if management has "no one else available". As a result, in this job you cannot really plan your life, or the little life you do get is planned around work.
    There does not seem to be any feedback to the SLS managers/coordinators about our performances offshore. It is as if we are just numbers filling spaces and if you get asked not to return to one rig, you will be sent to another one and nothing is done to address why you have been dismissed from a job in the first place.

Engage in regular feedback with geologist/company man on rig to hear how the mud logging team is performing.
    Hire enough staff so every job has regular rotation. Being able to plan your social calendar will improve morale no end.

There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes